FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By David F
Weird how the market for that in the united states is expensive and hard to come by. (lasts longer and performs better though.)
By Steve_D
NelsonR wrote:Tap- 222 ppm
It's hard to believe that the tap water is so full of dissolved minerals in Puerto Rico. Doesn't it rain a lot in the country, and doesn't the water people use come mostly from surface rain deposits? Or where does the water come from? (Excuse my ignorance of your country (U.S. territory), which I would love to visit sometime. I could even practice the Spanish I'm learning.) :)
By markus13
Steve_D wrote:
NelsonR wrote:Tap- 222 ppm
It's hard to believe that the tap water is so full of dissolved minerals in Puerto Rico. Doesn't it rain a lot in the country, and doesn't the water people use come mostly from surface rain deposits? Or where does the water come from? (Excuse my ignorance of your country (U.S. territory), which I would love to visit sometime. I could even practice the Spanish I'm learning.) :)
I'm quite curious about this as well. I work in water and wastewater purification, so it's a topic of interest for me. :geek:
By NelsonR
I really dont know why is so bad, but I do know it has a lot of calcium, i think it has 170 ppm, but im not shure.

And for our drinkin water supplie, i ve read it comes from deep wells, other comes from mountains, most of the water is RO but there is also destiled and purified as well.

And yes it does rain a lot, in fact, last month i didnt had to water my plants, (no kidding nor exagerating), it rained every day.
By Steve_D
NelsonR wrote:And yes it does rain a lot, in fact, last month i didnt had to water my plants, (no kidding nor exagerating), it rained every day.
Then it seems like Puerto Rico would be an excellent place for large-scale rainwater collection systems, which are being implemented more and more in the United States. One of my brothers gets all of the water for his home, outbuildings and to water his gardens from three large rainwater collection tanks that gather the water from just two roofs (the house and the barn).

Thank you for your answers, and for participating in the Forum. :D
By Shimizoki
Lake County, Florida, US
CP Grower (hobbyist)

TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) of several water sources
Tapwater -- 120 (enough to kill a Venus Flytrap in a few weeks)
Collected Rainwater -- 12 (includes small amount of soluble material from rooftop and sides of tank)(Black Shingles)
Last edited by Shimizoki on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By David F
Can you guys say what type of roof you have when you post the PPM for rainwater collected off of it, thanks.
By Anne58
Gothic TRAPS wrote:
quatchi wrote:TDS of Tapwater in Vancouver, BC: last time I checked, 9. An online source quoted 3, likely in winter.
That sounds good :). How credible is this online source quatchi?

Does anyone else here from the Vancouver, BC, Canada know what the consistant TDS rating is for our tap water. I know we have some of the best drinking water in the planet, but is it good enough for CP growing? Distilled water is very affordable here, but it does add up over the course of the summer. Any knowledge or comments would be much appreciated. Thanks ;)!

Where I work we weekly check the TDS of the tap water (required by one of our co-packers) I believe it is in the 15 - 20 range but I'll double check today when I'm there. I'll run one today as well just to verify. I also have some collected rain water I can check too.
Anne58 liked this
By jht-union
North Carolina-Raleigh, Cary, durham(water coming from Lake Jordan):
Rain water: 7PPM
Rain water collected by downpipe from roof: 13PPM
tap water: 120PPM
Refrigerator water: 115PPM
Outside water coming from home: 111PPM
Bottle water, food lion, nestle brand: 20PPM

For the most part, good water! :)

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!