FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By colby100
i dont have a tds meter and zero water doesnt have were i live but i used to live in phoenix AZ and you guys thought you had it bad in some places there 500+ tds i used to drink that when i was a kid and i always wondered why it tasted like you know what theres so much Cl in there water it would probalby kill a CP in 1 day.
By BenWilliam
Just got back from a trip to Adelaide and as such, I did what any VFT lover would do and took a sample of water. Adelaide has never really been known for its water quality, so I was interested to compare it to our water here in Melbourne.

Adelaide TDS is 402ppm, while Melbourne's tap water measured at just 36ppm. Big difference!

Conclusion, dont use Adelaide tap water!
By Anne58
Cambridge Ontario, Canada

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the company I work for routinely does water testing for one of our customers. We also receive samples for analysis from a plant we have in Cambridge Ontario Canada. They usually send the samples packed in a styrofoam cooler with refilled water bottles frozen as ice packs.

I decided to thaw one out and test the TDS of the water - I did confirm that it is Cambridge city water. The result . . . . . a whopping 845 ppm TDS!! :o

Well we know for sure that that water wouldn't be good for our carnivorous plants, not to mention what it would taste like to us! Definitely need a water filter in that part of the country!
By rhopkins
Using a TDS Meter our tap water is 80. Water from my well is 32 and rainwater collected in a barrel runs at 2. Most of my war has been the terribly hot summer and lack of any moisture. I saw temperatures as high as 111 in my greenhouse. I did lose a few plants to the hot weather but others faired quite well. In closing I would recommend everyone invest in a DTS meter. Best 20 dollars you ever spent, and I check my water often to monitor the quality of the water I am providing to my collection of plants. Richard
rhopkins liked this
By jaester
San Diego, CA(92116)

TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) of several water sources in ppm
  • Tapwater -- 237
  • Reverse Osmosis (Glacier Water Vending) -- 10
  • Collected Rainwater -- 87 (from rain a few days ago. First rain in months, collected from an obviously dirty gutter.)
  • Dasani Bottled -- 20
  • Wal-mart Distilled -- 0
Now, that Glacier RO water, it actually varies from 9ppm to 24ppm, depending on which machine I use(there are 3 of them). Are these RO readings safe to use on my traps in the long run?
By 95slvrZ28
jaester wrote: Are these RO readings safe to use on my traps in the long run?
It looks like those are probably ok to use from the readings, but it's hard to say what "minerals" they add to the water. If you're using water from a vending machine try to find Aquafina water, it's an RO water that doesn't have any minerals added.

That said, the distilled water from Wal-Mart is easily going to be the cheapest option for purchasing pure water.
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!