FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cpgrower126
Hey all,
Just wanted to let everyone know that Trader Joe’s has sarracenia in stock right now. I was tipped off by another forum user, and while shopping, found these beauties on the bottom shelf at Trader Joe’s. No definite ID, but I think it may be a maroon, catesbai, or bug bat.
Attachments:
Poor Deathcube
Poor Deathcube
IMG_1033.jpeg (646.06 KiB) Viewed 870 times
IMG_1034.jpeg
IMG_1034.jpeg (918.77 KiB) Viewed 870 times
IMG_1035.jpeg
IMG_1035.jpeg (884.23 KiB) Viewed 870 times
optique, andynorth, Jedikinigit and 1 others liked this
By Gary
The two that I got last spring survived dormancy and are growing well. They will get a nice red-purplish color when they get in the sun, but the hoods are thin and will get crispy if they get too hot. Dappled sunlight seems to be the way to go with these guys. And they catch tons of bugs.
By LazyDaisy
I saw these at the store along with their VFTs (which is what I ended up taking home). They were growing so well they were practically bursting out of the tube! :shock: Rocket Farms definitely seems to put out some nice looking plants!
By Intheswamp
cpgrower126 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:59 am Hey all,
Just wanted to let everyone know that Trader Joe’s has sarracenia in stock right now. I was tipped off by another forum user, and while shopping, found these beauties on the bottom shelf at Trader Joe’s. No definite ID, but I think it may be a maroon, catesbai, or bug bat.
Dude...<pant, pant, pant> I ran out to Highway 10 in front of the house and headed to my nearest Trader Joe's in Tallahassee with expectations of some wonderful plants. Man, I was making good time, too! I live on top of a big hill, probably a mile or two down to the river bottom (man, I use to really buzz the asphalt going down that hill on a 3-speed banana seat bicycle (with only half the seat still intact and the handlebar brakes were non-working and it didn't have pedal brakes!!!...of course that was over half a century ago, but I digress). Anyhow, I was making good time, got down into the river bottom and started hoofing it up the other hill. By the time I was at the top of the hill I was pretty winded...kinda staggering a tiny touch. That's when this kind little ol' blue-haired lady slowed down beside me in her car and asked out the window what I was doing. I told her I was headed to Trader Joe's. She responded that there wasn't a Trader Joe's for 150 miles!!!!! I said, "Your right, there's one in Tallahassee!!!!". She made a quick call on her cellphone. After the sheriff had been there for 10 or 15 minutes they convinced me to go back home. The blue-haired granny kept looking at me like I was an idiot or something and said something to the sheriff about "nuts" and "ain't gonna let him ride with me!!!". I don't know who she was talking about. Anyhow, the sheriff (not a deputy, mind you!) let me ride up front with him and once we got down in the river bottom again, crossing the bridge, he let me hit the blue lights and the siren...I guess all the "Please!!! Please!!! Let'me!!!! PLEEEAAAAZZZZZZZZEEEE!!!" 's got to him.<grin> Of course, my wife was waiting for me standing on the front porch just shaking her head from side-to-side. The sheriff left with a "He's all yours!!!" or something like that...not sure what he meant, but he seemed pleasant enough, although in a big hurry to leave.

So see, ya gotta be careful how you word things. Ya just can't say "RUN TO TRADER JOE'S"...there'll be little ol' blue-haired ladies calling the sheriff on old pharts walking up and down the highways everywhere!!! And remember....HILLS KILL!!!!!!! Yeah...everything should be flat, like it was before Columbus spoiled everything...but, I digress. I wonder if this stun-gun I got from the sheriff's car is real....where's the cat?
DewsandTraps liked this
By DewsandTraps
I think that they are catesbai. I got one last year and it is growing great (almost wild with divisions) as of last year. Right now all the divisions are coming out of dormancy so I'll be waiting to see whether or not they were affected by the late spring frost. (finally found out what that is)
Attachments:
IMG_1687.jpg
IMG_1687.jpg (242.31 KiB) Viewed 731 times
By Gary
Hey Dews, since you've already divided this Sarr I thought I'd ask your advice. Would you say it's a bit late to divide this plant? When I bought the pair last year the pitchers were mostly very small and growing in all directions from the tissue culture ball/rhizome. I'd like to see what happens if they're not as crowded; perhaps they'll tend to grow more upright? Or I could try trimming off the pitchers that pop out on the sides of the ball and let the more "central" ones grow straight up (more or less?)
Your thoughts? TIA
0405241531a~2.jpg
0405241531a~2.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 646 times
By Brando
I just picked up this beauty today. Is there anything I should know as a first timer to pitcher plants? I have it in a perlite/peat moss substrate mix I also use for my Venus Fly Traps. Is there a guide I can check out?
Attachments:
20240407_172734.jpg
20240407_172734.jpg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 629 times
By cpgrower126
basic-sarracenia-care-sheet-update-t1244.html

Check that thread out, there are also several websites, but here’s some basic care:

1. Distilled water only
2. Preferably 6+ hours of direct sunlight
3. Soil, long fibered sphagnum moss or peat moss and perlite (NO ADDITIVES OR FERTILISERS)
4. Tray water method, sitting in about an inch of water
You can pretty much just give it the same care as your flytraps. Good Luck!
By BumpyEvergreen
I can vouch for this statement. Trader Joe's had a pretty nice selection but I ended up picking this one up because of how many offshoots the main node has.
PXL_20240418_235601860.jpg
PXL_20240418_235601860.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 375 times
Too bad they only have one variety though
PXL_20240418_215705748.jpg
PXL_20240418_215705748.jpg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 375 times
Intheswamp liked this

You can also buy the Gubler's LFSM at Lowe's, on[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!