FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By Hedonista
I’m looking to purchase some sarrs and I’m trying to decide where to get them from. I’m looking at “small” plants since I’ll feel better about killing plants the less expensive they are. Anyone here able to tell me how small plants might compare size-wise from Carnivorous Plant Nursery, PetFlyTrap annd Cook’s Carnivorous plants? Any other factors to consider would be appreciated, like packing and customer service. Or if you know a good (inexpensive) source I haven’t listed.

If it matters, I’m looking at Juthatip Soper, Dana’s Delight, and Judith Hindle for sure and maybe Redneck, farnhamii, and/or stevensii based on what those sites sell.
ChelleB1005, Jade liked this
By Panman
From my personal experience, I would not order from CPN. Many of the plants I got had pests and they all take a couple of seasons longer than a thing else to start growing well.
Hedonista, Jade, optique and 2 others liked this
By ChelleB1005
I've gotten nepenthes and pinguicula from petflytrap and both were much smaller than advertised and over-priced compared to other vendors for the received size and did not grow well. The ping was literally a recent pulling with 3 small leaves. CPN also seem to grow slow like panman said but otherwise I've had no issue.

I've gotten great sarracenia from both Flytrap King (with hitchhikers 😀) and Mike Wang. All that I've recieved from them are healthy and well started and some from Mike Wang were larger than expected and flowering the next year even though I had ordered a small.
Last edited by ChelleB1005 on Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hedonista, Jade liked this
By Hedonista
Panman wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:28 pm From my personal experience, I would not order from CPN. Many of the plants I got had pests and they all take a couple of seasons longer than a thing else to start growing well.
Very good to know. Wrong kind of hitchhikers.

ChelleB1005 wrote:I've gotten nepenthes and pinguicula from petflytrap and both were much smaller than advertised and over-priced compared to other vendors for the received size and did not grow well. The ping was literally a recent pulling with 3 small leaves. CPN also seem to grow slow like panman said but otherwise I've had no issue.

I've gotten great sarracenia from both Flytrap King (with hitchhikers 😀) and Mike Wang. All that I've recieved from them are healthy and well started and some from Mike Wang were larger than expected and flowering the next year even though I had ordered a small.
Good to know about petflytrap. I wish I could afford to order from Mike Wang, but the $8-15 sarrs are more in my budget. I’m too new to CPs to spend more…yet.

Any experience with Cook’s? The prices are less expensive, but the website is unsecure. I emailed him early last week to ask about how to pay securely and about a product, but haven’t heard back yet.
By Huntsmanshorn
Cooks's is good, but the service can be a little slow. However, they usually include a freebie with your order or at least they used to, I haven't bought anything from them in a while. Another place that you might want to check out is Lee's Botanical Gardens.
Jade, Hedonista, ChelleB1005 and 1 others liked this
By Panman
Hedonista wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:15 am Ah. I can find him on social media?
He is on Facebook. Lee's Botanical Gardens
Hedonista liked this
By andynorth
Hedonista wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:57 pm I’m looking to purchase some sarrs and I’m trying to decide where to get them from. I’m looking at “small” plants since I’ll feel better about killing plants the less expensive they are. Anyone here able to tell me how small plants might compare size-wise from Carnivorous Plant Nursery, PetFlyTrap annd Cook’s Carnivorous plants? Any other factors to consider would be appreciated, like packing and customer service. Or if you know a good (inexpensive) source I haven’t listed.

If it matters, I’m looking at Juthatip Soper, Dana’s Delight, and Judith Hindle for sure and maybe Redneck, farnhamii, and/or stevensii based on what those sites sell.
Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.com?
By ChelleB1005
You can also try local nurseries but if you want healthy plants from reliable and legit vendors the prices you're seeing are good. If you don't mind waiting sometimes many vendors will sell extra rhizomes for a few dollars, usually at the end of the growing season, though many will be no ID.
By Hedonista
I agree that $20+ for a quality plant is completely fair, but I can’t personally justify spending so much on a single plant when I don’t have the knowledge or experience yet for it to have a very high survival rate. I’ve already killed a sarr I got a couple months ago, and I think my G16 might be a goner as well. And even though I can get CP seeds to germinate, they flatten out and stop growing or producing dew. So right now I’m better off getting “disposable” plants to learn on. NoIDs and typicals are more my budget, but I was hoping to get a couple inexpensive cultivars to love to death. :D
By Panman
I recommend both Lee's Botanical Gardens and FlytrapKing for inexpensive (I won't say cheap) but quality plants. If you watch FlytrapKing's site or sign up for the newsletter, they often run BOGO on plants and seeds.
By MikeB
I've gotten some very nice plants from eBay sellers. Cook's prices there are good, and if you buy more than one at the same time, the shipping cost is much cheaper.
Hedonista, andynorth liked this
Question on soil

I'm definitely questioning too. It's especially […]

Tap water

If your plant is about to go dry and you have no w[…]

Our Postal Workers Hard At It

The address controversy has been with the USPS bef[…]

Master Gardener Course

Anyone here ever done a master gardener certif[…]

If you have only done it once and you will be flus[…]

Can vft survive windy days?

Ok thanks. I will try not to create a venus Flying[…]

Plant Mail

Let’s make these plants look their best ;)

Hi!

Welcome! Check out the care info at https://www.[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!