FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By LazyDaisy
Hello! I bought this raised planter made of fir wood a few days ago:
firefox_00bf98nLV0.png
firefox_00bf98nLV0.png (543.31 KiB) Viewed 497 times
My plan is to make a cage out of hardware cloth to secure over the top of it to keep the squirrels out (held with bungee cords maybe?). I'm not planting directly into it, just using it to hold containers since it can get pretty windy, especially during severe storms. I figured this would be good to keep my little guys from getting toppled (from both furry pests and the wind :D ). Some of my smaller containers might also need "booster seats" so they don't sit too deep, I was thinking some bricks would solve that issue.

What do you think? I'm new to this so all input is valued. Also, do you think it would be worth the time putting a seal on the wood?
By andynorth
I was actually thinking of buying that same planter. Glad to see I am not alone. I however decided against it since all my plants would require around 6 or more.
Yes, if you plan to leave it outside for an extended time I would definitely give it a few coats of a good sealant. The kind used on decks would work great. Also, to raise your smaller plants I would consider blocks of wood instead of bricks. The plants with soil in them will be enough weight to keep them from tipping over. Keep us posted on how it goes for you. Good luck.
LazyDaisy liked this
By LazyDaisy
andynorth wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:14 pm I was actually thinking of buying that same planter. Glad to see I am not alone. I however decided against it since all my plants would require around 6 or more.
Yes, if you plan to leave it outside for an extended time I would definitely give it a few coats of a good sealant. The kind used on decks would work great. Also, to raise your smaller plants I would consider blocks of wood instead of bricks. The plants with soil in them will be enough weight to keep them from tipping over. Keep us posted on how it goes for you. Good luck.
Great minds think alike! :D Yeah, it seems like a great deal if you don't have too many plants, though I can see myself accumulating enough to need another, lol.

Making a note about the sealant and the blocks of wood, thank you! I'll definitely try to document my progress!
andynorth liked this
By LazyDaisy
Lol mine could use a few lessons from yours! :D
MikeB wrote:After sealing the wood, I would line the top part with a piece of pond-liner material or some other tough, thick plastic.
Thank you for the advice! If you don't mind me asking, what would be the benefit of doing this?

Also, sorry for the delay, I've been a busy (and tired) bee. I did end up building the planter and making the cage for the top of it, my plants have been outside for over a week now and doing pretty well other than some mild sunburns and a spider mite infestation which seems to be improving. Intermittent rainy weather has prevented me from doing a seal on it yet. I'm also realizing I'll need to put a layer of protection either on top of the planter or under the wire since the wood is so soft that even mild pressure from the bungee cords are leaving some dents! :D At least it's otherwise working as intended, I'll have to remember to post pictures sometime this weekend.
By MikeB
LazyDaisy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:15 am
MikeB wrote:After sealing the wood, I would line the top part with a piece of pond-liner material or some other tough, thick plastic.
Thank you for the advice! If you don't mind me asking, what would be the benefit of doing this?
To better protect the wood. Sealing it is great, but if the wood will constantly be in contact with water, then sooner or later, it will start to rot. The pond liner will prevent this from happening.
andynorth, LazyDaisy liked this
By MikeB
optique wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:22 am a table with under bed totes painted white used as tubs. looks pretty good imo.
What paint do you use on the totes? I tried to paint some dark pots using a brand that was made for plastic and had primer mixed in, and it still peeled after 2 years.
By optique
rustoleum 2x painters touch, but i do touch them up in the spring i always have chipping in the flex area's over time. the totes would be brittle in 4 month if not painted. this is a new set of tubs i still have my 3 year old set but they are starting to get brittle. Its not perfect but UV proof tubs cost way to much when i can make a $9 tub last years.

You can also buy the Gubler's LFSM at Lowe's, on[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!