FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By LINCKODE
Hello there!
I got my first VFT about 2 weeks ago. I got a single plant in a pretty small pot from a local hardware store.
When I got it, some traps were quite small ( about 1.5 cm) and yellow / black-ish. I figured this was caused by the improper conditions in the store. I have immediately begun watering with distilled water, feeding it flies and gradually introducing it to the outside sun. In the meantime i also got a TDS meter to keep track of the water quality.
After about a week and a half, the new growth in the middle of the plant turned into a nice and big trap( about 2.5 cm) and the trap "babies" also seem to be bigger. I have also noticed the growth of the flower stalk, which i cut, since i figured, due to the store conditions, the plant may be too weak to flower.
So far i figured the plant was doing good, so i decided to re-pot it today to make sure the soil quality was good and to provide it with extra vertical space to grow. I got peat moss and perlite and made a 50/50 mix. I removed some old / small / diseased looking traps to make room for new strong ones then i begun the re-potting process. I payed extra care to not damage the rhizome, roots and traps and washed the plant by submerging it in distilled water. I planted it in the new pot using the "hole in the middle of the soil" method and made sure the roots run till the bottom of the pot. Rinsed the soil a couple of times and the current PPM is 24.
I think it turned out good, but i'd like the opinion of more experienced growers.
Thank you in advance for the feedback! :D
Attachments:
20240407_015910.jpg
20240407_015910.jpg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 224 times
20240407_024717.jpg
20240407_024717.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 224 times
20240407_024659.jpg
20240407_024659.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 224 times
By BumpyEvergreen
If you rinsed the soil till it was clean I have no issue with it, as I do the same with my sand. I do think that the plant is a little deep in the soil and would suggest planting it up to only halfway up the rhizome. That said I do not personally have luck with flytraps but the suggestion should help against rot which is the problem with flytraps. Good on your part for slowly introducing it to the sun but I would suggest leaving it outside in the shade and slowly moving it into the sun rather than in and out which is what I think may be happening.
andynorth liked this
By LINCKODE
BumpyEvergreen wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:15 am If you rinsed the soil till it was clean I have no issue with it, as I do the same with my sand. I do think that the plant is a little deep in the soil and would suggest planting it up to only halfway up the rhizome. That said I do not personally have luck with flytraps but the suggestion should help against rot which is the problem with flytraps. Good on your part for slowly introducing it to the sun but I would suggest leaving it outside in the shade and slowly moving it into the sun rather than in and out which is what I think may be happening.
Thanks for the reply!
Yes, the water coming out of the pot is clear.
I usually let the water tray dry up for a day before watering again to prevent rot. Should i still remove some of the soil around the rhizome? I am leaving it outside, so i was thinking the open air would help with the excess humidity.

You can also buy the Gubler's LFSM at Lowe's, on[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!