FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Cheesy_sandwhich_45
Would purple or red/blue be better than white leds? I used a lumen app and it was like 4x the amount of lumens on white leds which are just a different mode. Also how much lumens should sundews get?
By Intheswamp
There are a several things to look at in regards to color of a grow light. One big one for me is the ability to see my plants in a somewhat "normal" light, not in a harsh blurple color. If you're growing for reselling or trying to grow lots of plants then following the "vegetation/bloom" line of thought then something strong in the red and blue ends of the light spectrum would be good. But, with today's full-spectrum lighting I would be hard pressed to choose a blurple light. But, that is just me.

You might want to study more about lighting before investing your money. Here is a good (I think) article on lighting. There are three of them, this is the link to the first one: https://curiousplant.com/light-type-car ... ts-part-1/

Also, download a phone app called "Photone". It is a light meter app and does a fair job of measuring your DLI and other more useful measurements than simply lumens. For the "full-spectrum" add-on it costs a few bucks, but it is a handy app. Be sure to make the "diffuser" to put over your camera....a simple strip of white paper wrapped around the phone...wrap it around your phone snuggly and tape the ends together...then you can slide it on and off your phone.

Currently I'm using a couple of Viparspectra XS1000 (100-watt) panels, two 3-panel 80W "garage lights", four (only using 3 at the moment) Yescom 225 "white" panels, and three 48" LED 5000K LED shoplights. My two favorites are the garage lights (bought them cheap at Costco) and the Viparspectra XS1000. Of those, two I'd say I definitely favor the Viparspectra the most.

There is a chart on the curiousplant.com website (2nd article, I think) of the DLI (Day Length Integral) requirements of different carnivorous plants. There are also some calculators for figuring different lighting aspects...the DLI calculator is handy. I'm not sure exactly how accurate the calculations are, but I think they're "close enough".

As for "light", you really can't have too much. You *can* have too much heat, though, so watch your plants responses when you hang a new light.
By Cheesy_sandwhich_45
And yeah I was considering yescoms buts they seem to be out of stock everywhere right now.
By Intheswamp
So that's why they're not available anywhere.
By Cheesy_sandwhich_45
Panman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:06 pm Yescom is no longer manufacturing those panels.
Ah, do you have any good alternatives for around the same price?
By Panman
I did order these Uallhome 2 Pack LED Grow Light Panel 200W. It was $40 for 2, but they aren't near as bright as the Yescoms.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09C4 ... UTF8&psc=1
By Intheswamp
Panman, have you checked them with any type of meters? Seems your new ones would outdo the Yescoms. :?
By Intheswamp
Cool!
By Cheesy_sandwhich_45
Panman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:00 am Um, duh. Why didn't I think of that? I'll run a test this weekend and let y'all know.
I just made a whole new post and I think that you and other people can share their findings.

Also I don’t get that Kiss statement unle[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!