FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By kevinqwe
do vft absorb the brightness of the sun or the heat(energy) the sun puts out?
thanks ;)
By Aging_Bourbon
its absorbs the sun's lightwaves and turn's it into energy.. its called photosynthesis
By kevinqwe
so.. the heat>?
By NZL
The heat is used to warm up the plant.
Every organism has an optimal temperature in which their metabolism works fastest, for example humans have their optimal metabolism temperature at about 37C or 98F.
Therefore, the heat of the sun is used to get a VFT closer to it's optimal metabolic temperature.
This also means however, that in hot climates, the heat of the sun can take the plant over it's optimal temperature, and then the plant will grow slower again.

Regretfully I don't know the optimal temperature for a VFT, so I can't give you any advice there..
By afh928
Both...they need to be within their ideal range of temp. (not sure exactly what that is) for optimal health and growing conditions...but to perform photosynthesis they use the "brightness" or light energy from the sun to turn into its own energy. It can get pretty scientific and complicated, but thats the short version! :mrgreen:
By andyoliver
NZL wrote:The heat is used to warm up the plant.
Every organism has an optimal temperature in which their metabolism works fastest, for example humans have their optimal metabolism temperature at about 37C or 98F.
Therefore, the heat of the sun is used to get a VFT closer to it's optimal metabolic temperature.
This also means however, that in hot climates, the heat of the sun can take the plant over it's optimal temperature, and then the plant will grow slower again.

Regretfully I don't know the optimal temperature for a VFT, so I can't give you any advice there..
And why don't you know the optimal temperature for a VFT! :D
.5*C out for body temp though (37.5*C).

You can also buy the Gubler's LFSM at Lowe's, on[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!