FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

FlytrapCare Forum periodic photo contests

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
I like the straight LFSM idea and will be potting mine that way as a test in the future. Not sure about where you are but it seems every time I put mine in the full sun after only a couple days they tend to burn on me so I give them at least a week of slow acclimation and introducing to the sun.
By andynorth
I heard it was good for flytraps that way but not sarrs. Do you have to prop them up? Does that go for purps also? Do you know of any place online that sells quality New Zealand LFSM in bulk? I can find 3 qt. bags on Amazon but that definitely is not the cheap route.

I have some VFT Typicals that appear to have mineral burn so I am going to do an experiment with washed coir, LFSM and pure peat to see which grows best. I have been thinking of making the switch to coir for a bit now.
By Intheswamp
Is the Spagmoss on Amazon *that* much better than the Better-Gro? I mean, you can spend $55 on the Spagmoss for 500g or either $10 for 480g of the Better-Gro....is there something I'm missing here? :?
By andynorth
I use this stuff and I really like it. It says "No sticks" but there are a few. All choppable. Easy to dry after cleaning and does not make too huge of a mess like some brands I have bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4PJVC6W?re ... x=new+zeal
By andynorth
Panman wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:31 am If you can afford it, I highly recommend it for flytraps and sarrs. They always respond really well for me.
So do you chop it or use a grinder? Fine, medium or coarse? I have a mini food processor I use to grind up pretty fine for mixing with peat moss and can make as fine or coarse as needed.
By Panman
I pot flytraps and sarrs that are in 3 inch pots or smaller in straight sphagnum, no chopping. I only used chopped sphagnum for starting seeds. Sarrs do really well and I don't notice them being any floppier than the larger pots of peat/perlite.
Intheswamp, andynorth liked this
By Dan V
I've been buying the $8.99 4.5-ounce boxes of New Zealand Long Fibered Sphagnum Moss from Joel on Etsy. If you're previous customer of Joels you probably have a 10% off coupon code from him and if you order five boxes or more shipping is free which works out to only $6.30 per 100 grams (100 grams equals 3.5 ounces) if my math is correct. The quality of the moss and the trash content is a little bit of hit or miss with Joel's lfsm as he orders in bulk and says he has no control. I have gotten some outstanding moss from Joel with 12-inch strands and some orders have had more of the typical trash (sticks etc.) but for the price I really can't complain too much.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1297243282 ... rv-3&sts=1
By andynorth
I just found this stuff on Amazon. 2 pounds says it comes to 112 dry quarts. I ordered specifically to see what the quality is like. Doing the math, this is about 5 bucks cheaper and shipping is free. I will post results when it arrives. Like I said, the stuff I linked to earlier is very good quality but also quite expensive, as in $22.00 for 3 dry quarts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5S ... =UTF8&th=1
By ChefDean
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:17 am Received teh SD Kronos from Leah and Matt today! They musta put it on a jet coming my way...shipped Saturday...here Tuesday with Sunday and Labor Day in between!!!!! Thanks!!!!!
Well, they do only live in Mizz-ur-ah. About a nine hour drive from your little slice of paradise.
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:17 amNow this is the nicest flytrap I've owned. Not to take away from my others, but, well, this one is already GIANT compared to my small plants.
I think you'll find that Leah and Matt take good care of their plants. I haven't had a single one not do well unless I made an error in its care after I received it.
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:17 amBut, I need some direction. What grow mix to use? I've seen people talking about growing in pure LFSM so I decided for now to try it.
VFT's grow well in LFSM, but it quickly becomes expensive as this addiction, um, hobby progresses.
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:17 amIt will have probably three hours of sunlight in the morning...having traveled and stressed out by the tossing around and darkness I figure I'll let it get used to its new location a bit before sticking it out in a longer full sun period.
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:17 amQuestions... Should I add some perlite to the LFSM? Should I ease it back into the sunshine or go ahead and throw out there?
Add perlite or not, I've found it doesn't make a big difference LFSM.
Three hours is a good start. Matt grows these in a greenhouse with clear polycarbonate panels. They don't filter the sunlight like glass does, so you shouldn't have any big worries.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Thanks for that reply, Chef. It helped answer several questions. I’m going to leave the perlite out of it. Perlite does do a great job helping with drainage but it sure makes a mess!
andynorth liked this
By DragonsEye
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:23 am Is the Spagmoss on Amazon *that* much better than the Better-Gro?
Better-Gro is decent stuff. Avoid Mosser Lee products… they’re not even worthy of being called “garbage “.
andynorth liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!