FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By DragonsEye
Haven’t moved any of mine in yet. Will have to “find the time” somehow… particularly a few of my more cold sensitive plants. My succulents and cacti will have to be a priority. They can handle surprisingly cold temperatures if dry, but we’ve been getting a bit’o rain lately. Cold and wet is begging for rot.
By specialkayme
Panman wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:01 pm Goldenrod is supposed to be good for "old men" disorders. I wonder if goldenrod honey is good.
As a beekeeper, I can tell you it is not.
andynorth liked this
By Panman
The Nepenthes are tucked in for the winter. I had to put a diaper on the bigger ones. They aren't housebroken, you know.
Attachments:
20231007_205931.jpg
20231007_205931.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 1522 times
andynorth liked this
By Intheswamp
specialkayme wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:35 am
Panman wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:01 pm Goldenrod is supposed to be good for "old men" disorders. I wonder if goldenrod honey is good.
...and a sigh of disappointment runs through the crowd. :(
By Intheswamp
I brought mine in when we got home from "the competition". The forecast 44F got down to 41F....we're currently at 48F. Cool! (see what I did there, Chef? :mrgreen: ).
By specialkayme
Intheswamp wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:09 pm
specialkayme wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:35 am
...and a sigh of disappointment runs through the crowd. :(
Well it tastes better than it smells, so that's something.

In the fall, as you walk through the apiary, you can tell if goldenrod is in bloom because the entire apiary smells like dirty gym socks.
Intheswamp liked this
By wcrosman
I am going to blow out my sprinkler system today. We are definitely getting below freezing temperatures this week.
By evenwind
When I was a wee lad, back in late Pleistocene, if you got the sniffles in the late summer, you were, by definition, allergic to goldenrod. It took them a long time to realize that goldenrod pollen was about the size and weight of bocce balls and so rarely got airborne. When they finally applied some common sense and a microscope to the problem, they realized the real culprit was (wait for it)...ragweed!
Panman, Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Evenwind, I’ve tried to explain that to people through the years but most just stare blankly at me. Goldenrod is a large pollen *and* moist. You’re spot-on about the ragweed. People can see the goldenrod easily so they blame it for their hay fever….and the whole time the same people are standing beside ragweed and don’t recognize the inconspicuous weed….and its pollen is light and airy and magnification shows it consists of a lot of spikes and barbs…a nightmare for the respiratory system.
By DragonsEye
Intheswamp wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:14 pm Evenwind, I’ve tried to explain that to people through the years but most just stare blankly at me. Goldenrod is a large pollen *and* moist. You’re spot-on about the ragweed. People can see the goldenrod easily so they blame it for their hay fever….and the whole time the same people are standing beside ragweed and don’t recognize the inconspicuous weed….and its pollen is light and airy and magnification shows it consists of a lot of spikes and barbs…a nightmare for the respiratory system.
Indeed. Ragweed is wind pollinated. Goldenrod, on the other hand, is pollinated by insects like bees.
Intheswamp liked this
By alecStewart1
Funny, everyone here must be living in different climates or needs different conditions than me. I've been waiting for it to get cool to put a few plants out to let them know "hey it's time to go to sleep."

Although my P. medusina has stayed in it's onion even though it's been inside and my P. 'Aphrodite' has been shrinking it's leaves as well (but it's been growing flowers anyway :roll: ). It's D. regia that I've been waiting to put out so it knows it's no long stupidly hot out and it's time to go dormant.
By Intheswamp
Well, after the *really nice rain* that we just got the forecast is for dropping temperatures, down into the mid to low 40's. I might oughta be thinking about the "Pilgrimage of the Carnivorous Plants" to the room at the trailer. My N. ventrata is hiding inside here at the house for the time being...and seems to be enjoying it! The dews, traps, and pitchers will be needing to be packing their bags soon....the traps and pitchers to a dark, unheated room at the trailer and the dews and young traps a pitchers to the grow room. Yep, looks like winter is (kinda) coming down here. I hope we don't get snow this year...that dreaded inch of snow simply paralyzes this area...and sometimes we get TWO :shock: !!!!! :mrgreen:
By wcrosman
Frost predicted here tonight.

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Thanks all. The only place I didn’t think […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!