FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Hedonista
Can someone please explain water stratification? I have some intermedia seeds I need to stratify. My basic understanding is to put the seeds in a small covered container of distilled water in the fridge for 6-8 weeks. I guess I’m wondering if I’m supposed to be able to get the seeds to sink, and if so how? Also if it matters if light can get into the container? And I read something I can no longer find about removing them with a pipette, which begs the question; what if the seeds get stuck to the inside of the pipette? Or will that not happen?
By andynorth
So I do mine using test tubes and distilled water. Put the seeds in and then using a syringe I slowly add water leaving just enough room to put the top in and a little more for air bubble. Yes, they will, for the most part, float to the top. I will gently shake to stir it up a bit. I then place in plastic bag and in to the fridge they go in the veggie crisper drawer. After 8 weeks I take them out and sow like I would do any other seed of the same species. Some people have not had good luck this way. I have 100% success rate for seeds that I have done this way. I think I may have had one instance where only a couple seeds germinated but they were questionable from the start.
That said, I do not believe Intermedia seeds require any type of stratification but I could be wrong.
Hedonista liked this
By Hedonista
Test tubes? What kind and why? Are there other things I would use them for besides stratification? Also, since you mentioned that they have a lid, why do you put them in a plastic bag?

My intermedia seeds are from the seed bank and labeled “temperate.” It is my understanding that anything with that designation needs to be stratified.
By Shadowtski
Hedonista wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:19 pm Test tubes? What kind and why? Are there other things I would use them for besides stratification? Also, since you mentioned that they have a lid, why do you put them in a plastic bag?

My intermedia seeds are from the seed bank and labeled “temperate.” It is my understanding that anything with that designation needs to be stratified.
Temperate Drosera intermedia seeds do benefit from moist stratification.

Any test tube with a stopper will work.
I germinate most of my CP seeds in water filled test tubes.

Some growers like paper towel for stratification.
Some people get paper towel wet (distilled water please) and squeeze out excess water.
scatter seeds over paper towel and roll it up, fold it.
Put paper towel in ziploc bag and place in refrigerator for 4-8 weeks.
Remove seeds from paper towel, sprinkle seeds into pots of media 1:1 peat:perlite and wait a few weeks for germination.

As always, just my 02¢ worth.
andynorth, Hedonista liked this
By Intheswamp
Hedonista wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:19 pm Test tubes? What kind and why? Are there other things I would use them for besides stratification? Also, since you mentioned that they have a lid, why do you put them in a plastic bag?

lA lot of people use test tubes for growing leaf cuttings.
Shadowtski, Hedonista liked this
By Intheswamp
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:08 am

A lot of people use test tubes for growing leaf cuttings.
By Intheswamp
Sorry, dupe.

This is kind of odd. When I edit a post, it doesn't edit it but rather it makes a whole new post. Let's see if this one does.
By Intheswamp
I must have temporarily been in the twilight zone...it's working fine. :roll:
By andynorth
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:08 am

lA lot of people use test tubes for growing leaf cuttings.
Yes, I use for leaf cuttings, stem propagation, etc. Why? Because they do not take up much space. You could also use pretty much any clear plastic container. My bad on stratification. Honestly, I cold strat pretty much all my seeds. I put in plastic bag to keep them together as I usually will have a few or more each time and I am able to put a date on the bag.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Scientif ... r=8-5&th=1
Hedonista liked this
By Hedonista
This is all very helpful, thanks. :) As far as the test tubes, how do you get the seeds out of them? I’m envisioning a whole bunch of wet drosera seeds stuck way down in the tube.
By Shadowtski
Hedonista wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:18 am This is all very helpful, thanks. :) As far as the test tubes, how do you get the seeds out of them? I’m envisioning a whole bunch of wet drosera seeds stuck way down in the tube.
I shake each test tube vigorously every day, that keeps the seeds from sticking too badly.
When they start germinating, I dump them out and sometimes have to use a long skinny wire to dislodge the new roots from trying to anchor to the tube. (Glass tubes are easier to dislodge but more expensive.)
Just my 02¢ worth.
Hedonista liked this
By Hedonista
Shadowtski wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:24 am I shake each test tube vigorously every day, that keeps the seeds from sticking too badly.
When they start germinating, I dump them out and sometimes have to use a long skinny wire to dislodge the new roots from trying to anchor to the tube. (Glass tubes are easier to dislodge but more expensive.)
Just my 02¢ worth.
Ok, hold up. I’m supposed to leave them in the test tube until they start germinating?! And they will germinate in the fridge? And how do you get them spread evenly on the growing media? Are you dumping them directly on it or into say a paper towel and then separating and planting them?
By Shadowtski
Hedonista wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:29 am
Ok, hold up. I’m supposed to leave them in the test tube until they start germinating?! And they will germinate in the fridge? And how do you get them spread evenly on the growing media? Are you dumping them directly on it or into say a paper towel and then separating and planting them?
After stratification, the seeds come out of the fridge.
You can germinate them in the test tube or you can plant them in pots of media, either method works well. (I prefer test tubes so I can see when the seed cracks open and first root emerges.)
If you go with the test tube method, shake every day.
When germination starts, dump your test tube into a petri dish or clear shallow bowl.
Using an eye dropper you can slurp up each germinated seed and place it exactly where you want in the pot.
Or you can just pour it out onto the pot and live with a massive colony until they're big enough to separate.
Hedonista, andynorth liked this
By Hedonista
Shadowtski wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:01 am
After stratification, the seeds come out of the fridge.
You can germinate them in the test tube or you can plant them in pots of media, either method works well. (I prefer test tubes so I can see when the seed cracks open and first root emerges.)
If you go with the test tube method, shake every day.
When germination starts, dump your test tube into a petri dish or clear shallow bowl.
Using an eye dropper you can slurp up each germinated seed and place it exactly where you want in the pot.
Or you can just pour it out onto the pot and live with a massive colony until they're big enough to separate.
Aaaah, gotcha. So the daily shaking doesn’t start until after stratification? And the advantage of the test tube germination is basically just being able to see what’s going on, like an ant farm, or what? I spend way too much time every day staring at my plants, so I do like the idea. :D
By Shadowtski
I have to check my seeds daily during stratification, make sure they're OK.
I often give them a shake but I don't think it's absolutely necessary at this stage.
In addition to sticking to the tube, sometimes filamentous algae will start to grow and glue the seeds together.
If you see something mucus-like, drain the water and replace it.
(Helpful hint... when you pour your seeds into the test tube, save 10 - 20% in case of disaster. You'll have some seeds to try again.)
Hedonista, andynorth liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!