FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
Like the title says, I am looking for pics of S. (leuco x oreo) x (oreo x leuco) seedlings, if any exist. I won some seeds from ChefDean back in August and in my haste to get them growing I failed to identify 4 of my planters so I have no clue if they took or not. I think they might have but not real sure. I hate to have to wait until the are a couple years old to identify them. Thanks if you can help.
By Intheswamp
Here's the one seedling that I managed to get growing. Looks like its not liking "something" with one of the pitchers browning out on me. :( But, it's growing. ;)

The cape is a D. Capensis all-red "Beet" from a leaf-cutting that I got from Hollyhock. When I unwrapped the cape there was a broken leaf that was dangling, wilted, getting pale, etc.,. I figured "what the hey!" and pinched it off and threw it in a little bit of distilled water. It sat there and set there, started to grow a little fungus/slime. Then one day I noticed...little, microscopic leaves!!!! I cut the plantlet loose from the slimy leaf and carefully moved it into the pot with the pitcher plant seedling. It really surprised me that that wilted leaf actually produced a new plant!!! :D

Does the pitcher plant look like the seedlings that you have?
IMG_3711pp (Custom).jpg
IMG_3711pp (Custom).jpg (587.58 KiB) Viewed 260 times
By andynorth
So this is the only "lone wolf" that I have with no ID. I am thinking this has to be it. Keep in mind it is larger than yours as I run lights for 22 hours a day.
Attachments:
20240416_105357.jpg
20240416_105357.jpg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 247 times
By steve booth
You simply can't tell from seedlings that small I'm afraid, as you can see they all look so similar at that age, you will have to wait till it's older to have a better idea. They have such divergent genes that it is entirely possible that it could look like a typical oreophila or a leucophylla or anything in between, but if there is any doubt about its lineage at all don't label it anything other than NOID.

Cheers
Steve
Intheswamp liked this
By andynorth
Thanks. In comparison with ITS pic, it is looking very similar. He and I got the same seeds from ChefDean at the same time. It seems we both only had one seed actually come up. I understand it is virtually impossible to tell at this stage but worth a try.
By andynorth
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:56 pm Just think, Andy, our two little pitcher plants are siblings on opposite corners of the lower-48!!!! ;)
That they are. Like I said, it pretty much has to be this one as it is the only one that is all alone with no ID. The other 3 I have without ID have several in the pot and I know there were not that many seeds.
Cactus Care

Hello everyone! I have a couple of questions for y[…]

Another flower popped

Hey all, another flower popped last night from an […]

Hello, I would like to request SD-23-005 D. felix[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1651. I'll PM[…]

if nobodys said it yet ive found a pressure spraye[…]

1 year old cape!

I would really be interested in getting some see[…]

Lee’s Botanical Gardens has some drosera for[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not s[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!