FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Hedonista
Hedonista wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:08 pm
hollyhock wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:44 pm What is it you like about the black gold perlite? It looks very spendy compared to, say, Schultz, which is what I’m currently using.
I haven't used Schultz 😕 but I was always so afraid to get anything enhanced with fertilizer like miracle gro. So I picked black gold and just stuck with it. If Schultz is less $ and isn't enhanced with anything then I'm sure it's fine :D
I’m not sure I’m relieved or disappointed with your answer. On the one hand, I think it’s safe for me to continue using the Schultz perlite. On the other, I kinda thought you were going to tell me the black gold had some kind of magical property, like that it wouldn’t rise up and float out of my pots. :lol:
By andynorth
Hedonista wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:18 pm
andynorth wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:10 pm
Just to make sure I understand what you are saying; your VFTs are in 100% LFSM, the bottom 3/4 of which is the cheap stuff and the top quarter of which is the orchid stuff? And your other plants are in a mixture of peat and LFSM? What kind of ratio? So far I’ve only planted drosera seeds, and I used 50/50 rinsed peat/perlite, with a top dressing of chopped Mosser Lee (I know it’s junk, it’s what I had). In the future I imagine I will try VFT and sarrs seeds, and get some actual plants, so I will need to branch out with my media.
Yes, 100% LFSM. LFSM and peat mix is 1:1. They all seem to like it but I am looking for sand to add to that, I just need to get the correct grade. Some is too fine and others seem too coarse. Trying to locate a happy medium.
Hedonista liked this
By Hedonista
Here is the response from Better-Gro:

“Both of our mosses are sustainably harvested. The Premium Orchid Moss is a higher quality, cleaner, sphagnum when compared to the regular Sphagnum Moss. Per package, there is more material in the regular Sphagnum than the Premium package. Premium Moss is .3lbs and Sphagnum is .5lbs.”
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!