FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Hedonista
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Better-Gro Premium Orchid Moss and their LFSM? Is one better than the other? Which do I want, or do they both have uses, and if so, what are they?
Attachments:
IMG_4811.png
IMG_4811.png (1014.53 KiB) Viewed 592 times
By Panman
I use the one on the top all of the time and it is perfect. I've never seen the one on the bottom. It may just be different packaging from a different seller.
Hedonista liked this
By wcrosman
I have been using the orchid version.
Hedonista liked this
By Hedonista
Panman wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:49 pm I use the one on the top all of the time and it is perfect. I've never seen the one on the bottom. It may just be different packaging from a different seller.
On the Lowe’s website, they have both so I think they might be different? Unfortunately, the orchid one won’t ship to my store and they don’t carry it.
By Panman
You can try reaching out to Better-Gro and ask them what the difference is. I contacted them back when Covid hit to see where else I could get their moss. The were very responsive.
https://www.better-gro.com/contact_us.html
Hedonista liked this
By Hedonista
Thanks, I will do that and post their answer here.
By DewsandTraps
I have tried both of those and I would say that the one on top is a little bit more high quality version of the one on the bottom. The one on the bottom tends to have more sticks in it and more shorter moss.
But it has been some time since I last bought the orchid moss so it may be different.
I would recommend getting the orchid moss even though it cost more for less, but its your choice on how good of a moss you want.
Hedonista, Intheswamp liked this
By hollyhock
I have only used the compacted cube. Top photo my entire time growing and have always been very happy with the quality. I usually mix it 60/40 with only black gold perlite. I rinse both of them thoroughly before using :D
By Hedonista
DewsandTraps wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:32 pm I have tried both of those and I would say that the one on top is a little bit more high quality version of the one on the bottom. The one on the bottom tends to have more sticks in it and more shorter moss.
But it has been some time since I last bought the orchid moss so it may be different.
I would recommend getting the orchid moss even though it cost more for less, but its your choice on how good of a moss you want.
What is the size difference? And would there be uses that would be good to use the poorer quality for? As in, should I get some of both?
By DewsandTraps
The sphagnum moss is maybe half an inch longer and about a quarter inch wider. But its not much of a difference. I'm planning on getting more of the orchid moss to use on my juvenile plants but I think that the sphagnum moss would work just fine for big pots where mature plants are growing or for the plants that don't care what they grow in. And yes You should get both if you can. which would also be good to experiment (if you want) with to see which moss is better for what plants. Like HH said be sure to rinse the moss thoroughly because if you rinse it only a little your ppm will be above 50.
Hedonista liked this
By hawaiinei
My Lowe's only sold the orchid version. It costs more but it's of good quality and I've used it for both my sundews and staghorn ferns. DewsandTraps says to rinse it before using but I forgot. Thankfully my sundews are doing fine. 😅
Hedonista, DewsandTraps liked this
By Hedonista
hollyhock wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:44 pm I have only used the compacted cube. Top photo my entire time growing and have always been very happy with the quality. I usually mix it 60/40 with only black gold perlite. I rinse both of them thoroughly before using :D
What is it you like about the black gold perlite? It looks very spendy compared to, say, Schultz, which is what I’m currently using.
hollyhock liked this
By andynorth
I have found that the Orchid version is quite a bit cleaner and seems to be processed more than the regular LFSM. What I do is use the regular LFSM in roughly 3/4 of the pot and the Orchid moss for the top 1/4. That is for my VFT's. For my other plants I pretty much do the same when mixing with peat. I was getting the Orchid moss for the same price as the regular LFSM on Amazon until someone figured out the difference. Next thing I know they jacked the price up to like $18.00 for the same size I was getting for around $5.00. Lowes sells both, side by side and you get less of the Orchid moss.
DewsandTraps, Hedonista liked this
By Hedonista
andynorth wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:10 pm I have found that the Orchid version is quite a bit cleaner and seems to be processed more than the regular LFSM. What I do is use the regular LFSM in roughly 3/4 of the pot and the Orchid moss for the top 1/4. That is for my VFT's. For my other plants I pretty much do the same when mixing with peat.
Just to make sure I understand what you are saying; your VFTs are in 100% LFSM, the bottom 3/4 of which is the cheap stuff and the top quarter of which is the orchid stuff? And your other plants are in a mixture of peat and LFSM? What kind of ratio? So far I’ve only planted drosera seeds, and I used 50/50 rinsed peat/perlite, with a top dressing of chopped Mosser Lee (I know it’s junk, it’s what I had). In the future I imagine I will try VFT and sarrs seeds, and get some actual plants, so I will need to branch out with my media.
By hollyhock
Hedonista wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:08 pm
hollyhock wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:44 pm I have only used the compacted cube. Top photo my entire time growing and have always been very happy with the quality. I usually mix it 60/40 with only black gold perlite. I rinse both of them thoroughly before using :D
What is it you like about the black gold perlite? It looks very spendy compared to, say, Schultz, which is what I’m currently using.
I haven't used Schultz 😕 but I was always so afraid to get anything enhanced with fertilizer like miracle gro. So I picked black gold and just stuck with it. If Schultz is less $ and isn't enhanced with anything then I'm sure it's fine :D
Hedonista liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!