FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
Here are the seeds that I want to stratify. I've been reading some here and there and it seems that for me, the rank hobbyist, that a four-week stratification should work well for most everything. I've read that going longer could even reduce germination rates for the more southerly species. But, there again, I've seen people recommend 6-8 weeks. :?

D. filiformis New Jersey
D. filiformis Dreamsicle OP
D. filiformis tracyi
S. rosea
S. flava rubricorpora
...and possibly one more southern/Alabama sarracenia

I am planning on using the moist-paper-towel method of stratification for the sarrs. (I scored some paper towels out of a vending machine in Montgomery yesterday, Chef! :mrgreen: )

I'm still debating on which method to use for the sundews, though. Either the cold water method or planting the seeds in small pots and sticking the pots in the refrigerator.

I figure if I started stratifying them in the next couple of days for four weeks I could plant them around the first of December and everything hopefully would be germinated by Christmas. If I went with a six week stratification things would most likely be germinating around the middle of January.

There may be a week or so sometime in December or January that I will not be home. So, I'm thinking that shooting for four weeks stratification would work, but, if I happen to be out of pocket about that time I can let the strat continue on for another week or two.

Anyhow, that's my thinking. Feedback is welcome along with cash, gold bullion, precious gems, yearling calves, etc.,. ;)
By Intheswamp
If I started in the next day or two, eight weeks would put them moving to the germination stage right after the first of the year which might be a good thing. :)
Panman liked this
By Intheswamp
Hmm, just checked an online calculator and eight weeks from today would be December 22. I *might* hold off starting the stratification for a couple of more weeks to make sure it's after the first of the year before they go into the germination cycle. OCD? Me? Nawwww.... :mrgreen:

John, I'm going to be starting these inside, but hopefully will be moving them outside in March or April unless something changes my mind. I started out with my CPs saying if it couldn't handle it outside then I wouldn't grow it. But, I'm seeing that if we want to "bend" nature a bit then I'll have to go inside at times with some of them. ;)
By Intheswamp
ChefDean wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:34 pm <snip...> ,also check for mold growth weekly. I have found that normal, white paper towels will grow mold more easily than the brown ones you find in bathrooms on a roll. Next time you're at a place with those on a brown roll, wave your hand in front of the sensor a few times and put some in your pocket. <snip...>
Anybody that is in the Montgomery, Alabama area needs to be aware that Jason's Deli has experienced a sudden shortage of the brown paper towels in the men's bathroom. Must be a supply-chain issue. :mrgreen:
Panman liked this
By ChefDean
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:14 pmAnybody that is in the Montgomery, Alabama area needs to be aware that Jason's Deli has experienced a sudden shortage of the brown paper towels in the men's bathroom. Must be a supply-chain issue. :mrgreen:
First toilet paper, then gas (short-lived thankfully), then general groceries, now industrial brown paper towels on a roll.
While this one seems very localized, we must be ready for it to spread. Go forth and hoard all the brown paper towels you can to prepare for the forthcoming dearth of scratchy, stiff, only slightly absorbent, brown paper towels.
You'll be telling your grandkids about how you survived the great paper towel shortage of '22/'23, and they'll be forever thankful of your resourcefulness that made it possible for you to pull through, and that they're alive because you did.
By Intheswamp
^^^
HERE!!! HERE!!! Yes! Be the patriarch/matriarch that your family deserves!!! Be the hero of stories told to your great-great-grandchildren of the great brown paper towel depression of '22/'23. Incredible vision you have there, Chef!!!! Simply, incredible!!!!! :o
By Intheswamp
Ok, well we're committed...to the strat, not "committed" though some say might say I should be. :mrgreen:

Wet paper towels for:
S. Alabamensis Alabamensis x Self (Panman)
S. rosea (FTC seed bank)
S. Flava Rubricorpora (FTC seed bank)

I divided up one sheet of "Jason's Deli" paper towels <grin> into three pieces. Laid a piece out on the plate and wet it (didn't take much water). And sprinkled the seeds out along one end of it. I followed that up with using a toothpick to move the seeds around a little...apparently not the best spacing out, but better than they were! :roll: I then folded the paper on to itself and the seeds and trimmed the excess towel off. I took the wet, flat seed sandwich and slid it into the baggies.

Water strat (2oz condiment containers 3/4 full of water)for:
D. filiformis filiformis New Jersey (MikeB)
D. tracyi (G. Kong/Etsy)
(Two batches) D. Dreamsicle (FTC seed bank)
D. binata "Marston Dragon" OP (FTC seed bank)

Sundew seeds are definitely hydrophobic!!! I managed to get some to sink, but most floated around on the surface, trying to cling to the edge of the container. :?

I put the three small baggies of sarracenia seeds inside of a larger one and added a couple of strips of wet paper towels to the big bag. I laid the filled larger baggie on top of the sundew containers. Also, added a little water to the bottom of the tray/container. I ended up saving a pinch of everything, rather than using all the seeds...a little insurance. ;)

I've still got some sarracenia and some wide leaf capes coming from the seedbank so I'll start stratifying them in another week. :)

Anyhow, I've got some in the fridge!!! It's a start!!! :D
Ed
Attachments:
IMG_6511 (Custom).JPG
IMG_6511 (Custom).JPG (667.92 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
IMG_6512 (Custom).JPG
IMG_6512 (Custom).JPG (233.9 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
IMG_6513 (Custom).JPG
IMG_6513 (Custom).JPG (453.02 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
IMG_6517 (Custom).JPG
IMG_6517 (Custom).JPG (595.13 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
IMG_6518 (Custom).JPG
IMG_6518 (Custom).JPG (260.85 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
Nice! Don't worry about the sarr seeds touching. Mine are all in a pile. Just make sure that they don't grow mold. A bad seed easily could and then spread it to all the others.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
One thing to add to the above...

The distilled water that I had on hand had been opened and poured out of (and some water returned to the jug) several times. So, instead of using that distilled water I used some Aquafina drinking water which is reverse osmosis (RO) water.
By Intheswamp
A quick question here at Day #1. :lol:

When I put the wet paper towels and sarrs seeds into the ziplock bags I pressed out most of the air from the bags. Should I have left a bit of air or not? There's some small air bubbles here an there, but mostly a flattened package...??? Thanks.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!