FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
Well, for some reason I've been under the impression that simply putting drosera seeds in the refrigerator (dry) would handle stratification needs. :oops: Today, in preparation for planting some sarracenia seeds that I've acquired through hook, crook, and masterful pleading from the seed bank (thank you Chef and donors!!!) I started reading that stratification, whether for sundews or pitcher seeds, is a moist process. :o Duuuhhhhh, ok, so I'm not the sharpest blade in the drawer, ok? :roll:

To make it simple for this daft, aging relic, is it safe to say that both sarracenia and drosera require stratification? I know that some tropical species of drosera are stated as not needing it, but...would it hurt them if they were stratified? Most of the drosera that I'm interested in are filiformis.

I've got some sarrs seeds needing stratification along with some D.filiformis "New Jersey" (NJ kinda strongly suggests they need stratification) and some D.filiformis "Dreamsicle OP". My understanding is that filiformis varieties *can* benefit from stratification although the parents of the "Dreamsicle OP" are probably ok without stratification.

I'm thinking of sowing the seeds on containers of peat:perlite that have a thin layer of chopped up sphagnum on top of it, bagging them, and throwing them in a refrigerator for a couple of months. The temperature here fluctuates a lot during the winter and can range from the low-80's at times going down into the 30's and 40's at night. So, no constant below-50F temperature.

A couple of questions:
  • Is there anything to gain by stratifying the seeds as long as three months, rather than two months?
  • Would it be better to wait until the first of January to start stratifying them so that the subsequent germination begins closer to "spring"?
The sarrs seeds I could do the moist paper towel stratification and save some room but the drosera seeds are so small I think I'd rather go ahead and have them where they'll be growing. The old trailer that I've got my plants stashed in right now (and where my grow lights are) has an old refrigerator in it...I could plug it in for a few months for the stratification time...it probably needs running, anyhow.

Anyhow, tips on this is appreciated. My eyes are going crossed from scanning the forum for "stratification"...I feel like I'm simply repeating questions that have been asked but...OCD-Me!!! :mrgreen:
By ChefDean
Lets tackle this like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:50 pm Well, for some reason I've been under the impression that simply putting drosera seeds in the refrigerator (dry) would handle stratification needs. :oops: Today, in preparation for planting some sarracenia seeds that I've acquired through hook, crook, and masterful pleading from the seed bank (thank you Chef and donors!!!) I started reading that stratification, whether for sundews or pitcher seeds, is a moist process. :o Duuuhhhhh, ok, so I'm not the sharpest blade in the drawer, ok? :roll:
True, it needs to be moist, otherwise they would come stratified as I store them in my fridge at 38°F. You need to do some legwork, have some skin in the game. I'm not going to do all the work for you. :lol:
Intheswamp wrote:To make it simple for this daft, aging relic, is it safe to say that both sarracenia and drosera require stratification? I know that some tropical species of drosera are stated as not needing it, but...would it hurt them if they were stratified? Most of the drosera that I'm interested in are filiformis.
Sarracenia and cold temperate Drosera need the cold stratification. Subtropical versions of cold temperates, such as filiformis var. Floridana or intermedia "Cuba", do not need stratification, but are reported to have a greater germination rate with a two month strat. Some Drosera even need a warm stratification (which you could easily do in an Alabama summer), but I don't think you have any of those.
Intheswamp wrote:I've got some sarrs seeds needing stratification along with some D.filiformis "New Jersey" (NJ kinda strongly suggests they need stratification) and some D.filiformis "Dreamsicle OP". My understanding is that filiformis varieties *can* benefit from stratification although the parents of the "Dreamsicle OP" are probably ok without stratification.
Pretty much anything that grows naturally above the Florida/Georgia line, give it a strat. If it naturally grows in Florida, flip a coin.
Intheswamp wrote:I'm thinking of sowing the seeds on containers of peat:perlite that have a thin layer of chopped up sphagnum on top of it, bagging them, and throwing them in a refrigerator for a couple of months. The temperature here fluctuates a lot during the winter and can range from the low-80's at times going down into the 30's and 40's at night. So, no constant below-50F temperature.
That would work, but fridges dehydrate stuff, so keep an eye on it. For Sarrs, I have found it easier to fold the seeds into a few layers of damp to moist paper towel and place into a ziploc. maybe add a little more water so there is a small pool. Then take all the individual bags, after they've been labeled of course, and place into a bigger ziploc and seal. Easier to check as you just look for the small amount of water still moving around the little bag, also check for mold growth weekly. I have found that normal, white paper towels will grow mold more easily than the brown ones you find in bathrooms on a roll. Next time you're at a place with those on a brown roll, wave your hand in front of the sensor a few times and put some in your pocket.
For drosera, I go to the dollar store and buy the plastic shot glasses. Fill about halfway with distilled water, stir in seeds (that's the tricky part), cover with something (I use packing tape), and put in the fridge.
Both ways, protect them from freezing. If they freeze, the stratification process stops.
Intheswamp wrote:A couple of questions:
  • Is there anything to gain by stratifying the seeds as long as three months, rather than two months?
I don't think so, but you could experiment.
Intheswamp wrote:
  • Would it be better to wait until the first of January to start stratifying them so that the subsequent germination begins closer to "spring"?
The sarrs seeds I could do the moist paper towel stratification and save some room but the drosera seeds are so small I think I'd rather go ahead and have them where they'll be growing. The old trailer that I've got my plants stashed in right now (and where my grow lights are) has an old refrigerator in it...I could plug it in for a few months for the stratification time...it probably needs running, anyhow.
If you have the means to germinate them indoors while it's still cold outside, start them anytime. If you want to sow them and immediately put them outside, then start the strat about two months before you think they'll be able to stay outside.
Intheswamp wrote:I feel like I'm simply repeating questions that have been asked but...OCD-Me!!! :mrgreen:
Yes, you are, but that's OK. We were all noobs once, just not as old as you. Old dogs, new tricks, you know.
By John W
Usually what I will do is put seeds that require stratification into a moist paper towel (RODI water or rain) and put them in a plastic bag, and the write on the bag in permanent marker to ensure I remember the day I put it in, and what day I should take them out. When you take them out, leave the bag open for a day and let the moisture evaporate and the towel dry and the seeds should fall right out when you open up the folded paper towel

The good thing is that you can store seeds dry in the refrigerator and they should still be good. Have heard of seeds stored for 30 years in a fridge (dry) and they germinated still.

For seeds, I think it’s just all sarracenia and a few droseras that require stratification - like traci, and traci hybrids. Maybe darlingtonia too- don’t have any experienxe with that one so can’t say.
By Intheswamp
Thanks for the replies! Chef, we will address the "age" and "old dog" comment at a later time...you young whipper-snapper, you!!! Btw, I've eaten many an elephant!!! They don't take kindly to being bitten, but...

Filiformis and sarrs are primarily what I'm interested in, at the moment. Besides the Dreamsicles I've got some filiformis New Jersey seed (thanks Mike!), which I figure does need cold stratification. To keep it all "easy", I think I'll just stratify the sarrs and sundews that I'm planning on planting. It sounds like even if the sundews don't require stratification that it may enhance their germination.

Ya'll are about to convince me to do the moist paper towel stratification. It sure would make things easier...and I wouldn't have to run the old refrigerator. Interesting observation about the white versus brown paper towels and mold growth...wow, and all the sensors I've waved my hands in front of over the last couple of months!!! I'll definitely keep my eyes open for them!

As for dehydration in refrigerators, this is primarily an issue with self-defrosting models. The small "dorm size" refrigerators are usually manual-defrost and are not as prone to the dehydration problem. ;) Of course you can't get many pots for stratification in a dorm-size fridge, either!

Water stratification... No danger of killing the seeds in the water? Do it for a couple of months? I've got some of those little clear 2oz "food condiment" containers, those should work. They might leak a tiny bit if turned upside down but I'm not planning on doing that if I use them. Hmmm...

So moist paper towels for the sarrs and either the same or containers of water for the drosera?

John, thanks for the tip about letting the paper towel dry out so the seeds will fall off easier! That makes sense!
By Sundews69
The sarrs still need strat if they are in the paper towel. I've always sowed the seeds and then put them in the fridge. I'll have to try the paper towel this winter when I stratify my sarr seeds!

I believe once you see the first sign of a root, move the drosera seeds from water to soil. I could be wrong though
By ChefDean
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:33 pmSo moist paper towels for the sarrs and either the same or containers of water for the drosera?
Yes on the Sarrs, no paper towel on the Drosera seeds unless you want to be trying to remove dust sized seeds that decided to settle down in between the fibers of the paper towel.
The water strat allows you to pour them out onto the media, with a few rinses of water to wash them all out, or others swear by a small eyedropper. Suck up a seed or two and deposit it where you want, spreading them out vs they mostly get clumped up when pouring out.
John W liked this
By nycredneck
I am going to try stratify my drosera outside in a pot of media this winter. It does get freezing cold here but the refrigerator water method scares me. I will however start my Sarracenia strat in the refrigerator Jan 1 so when temps are warming up in March they can go in an outside pot.
Intheswamp, John W liked this
By Intheswamp
John W wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:38 pm Usually what I will do is put seeds that require stratification into a moist paper towel (RODI water or rain) and put them in a plastic bag, and the write on the bag in permanent marker to ensure I remember the day I put it in, and what day I should take them out. When you take them out, leave the bag open for a day and let the moisture evaporate and the towel dry and the seeds should fall right out when you open up the folded paper towel

The good thing is that you can store seeds dry in the refrigerator and they should still be good. Have heard of seeds stored for 30 years in a fridge (dry) and they germinated still.

For seeds, I think it’s just all sarracenia and a few droseras that require stratification - like traci, and traci hybrids. Maybe darlingtonia too- don’t have any experienxe with that one so can’t say.
John, other than sarrs seeds do you stratify drosera seeds in paper towels, too?
John W liked this
By John W
Yes, I did it for the traci. It worked okay, I think it’s definitely worth looking at what others said about the water though, that seems quite easy too.

They do get stuck to the paper towel, but like I said, you can let the paper towel dry and they should all fall and get unstuck from it. Just make sure to put them on your media and give them a nice squirt of water :-)
ChefDean, Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
This gives pause for thought... Since putting drosera seeds in paper towels would be for *stratification* then there shouldn't be an issue with the seeds sending roots into the fibers of the paper towel to get hung up with, should there? Only when they hit warmer temperatures will they start sprouting...correct? So, if the seeds and dam paper towel are taken from the refrigerator and allowed to dry out there shouldn't be much of an issue with them sticking to the paper should it? Once dry shake them off onto the growing medium and place in a good germination environment.
The smoother, commercial-grade brown paper towels that Chef mentioned would make it work even better. (Good)Food for thought here. ;)
John W liked this
By John W
Oh man putting me on the spot here haha! When I did this with the traci seeds , I did not have any roots on any of the seeds (that I remember) - I simply stratified for 40 days (along with some sarracenia) and then sprinkled them on some peat. I will say don't switch them from the sun to the artificial lights too early! I had plenty out of the 100 something seeds germinate under the sun, and when I checked yesterday in the LED's probably less than 5 survived the switch! A learning experience for me for sure!
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Wow!!! That is a major downer with the survival rate when moved under the LEDs!!!! I figured I’d start them beneath lights and then move them outside.
By Panman
Stratification will not produce roots. It just transitions the seed to get it ready to germinate. It then needs light and warmth to sprout.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
That's what I was thinking, Panman. Thanks for the confirmation. Was it you that was going to try using a smoke treatment for scarification of some seeds? It seems all the bogs do well after burning off...the smoke treatment helps as does getting rid of shade plants and baring the ground. I've got all of my seeds stored in the refrigerator for now and I'm debating on when to start stratification. In the meantime I'll decide which method to use, maybe even use a couple of different ones. I appreciate the feedback from everybody, for somebody who's never done this it is kind of a gray area. :)
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!