FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Gary
Hi all. I have a very healthy Capensis that is living mostly indoors due to cold weather here in central AZ. Today I noticed what looks like a thin mold growth on the crown near the potting media. I wiped it clean with a swab but may need to use a spray to kill it. I've never had this problem before, I suspect that it's due to lack of air circulation. What product(s) would you guys recommend?
By Gary
Sort of a fuzzy white fibrous substance. I found more after a closer look. I can try for a pic if that will help. I searched this subforum and found that hydrogen peroxide is a good solution.
By Intheswamp
Hydrogen peroxide has been known to help with mold. A lot of people use a 3-in-1 spray...insecticide/fungicide/miticide.

A lack of air movement, as you mentioned, along with a warm location (under lights or a sunny windowseal) are places that mold grows well in...warm, dead air. If you are using grow lights then a small plug-in fan connected to your light's timer will help with the air circulation.
By Gary
I'll look into a small fan, good idea. Thanks!
By evenwind
Gary wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:27 am Sort of a fuzzy white fibrous substance. I found more after a closer look. I can try for a pic if that will help. I searched this subforum and found that hydrogen peroxide is a good solution.
You can also try a cinnamon spray.
By NightRaider
evenwind wrote:
Gary wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:27 am Sort of a fuzzy white fibrous substance. I found more after a closer look. I can try for a pic if that will help. I searched this subforum and found that hydrogen peroxide is a good solution.
You can also try a cinnamon spray.
I've tried cinnamon spray and it hasn't been particularly helpful for me (at least in very high humidity environments), the stuff just comes back within a day or two of application. Not to say it's not worth trying though, it may well work better for other people.
By Gary
How about using 70% isopropyl alcohol applied with a saturated swab or small brush? IPA is fairly innocuous. It's not exactly a fungicide, but might work to knock down the mold with repeated applications. The weather has warmed up here so I put the sundews out for some real sunshine and fresh air.
Has anyone tried IPA to fix this problem?

Elionwyr requests drosera intermedia. Ty!

Intheswamp requests the pack of D. capensis "[…]

New donation

I'd like to thank thepitchergrower for his latest […]

1633 expired and canceled

This request has expired and been canceled, seeds […]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

NASC Auction

Moderators please remove if not allowed. . Terraf[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!