FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Gary
Hi all. I have a very healthy Capensis that is living mostly indoors due to cold weather here in central AZ. Today I noticed what looks like a thin mold growth on the crown near the potting media. I wiped it clean with a swab but may need to use a spray to kill it. I've never had this problem before, I suspect that it's due to lack of air circulation. What product(s) would you guys recommend?
By Gary
Sort of a fuzzy white fibrous substance. I found more after a closer look. I can try for a pic if that will help. I searched this subforum and found that hydrogen peroxide is a good solution.
By Intheswamp
Hydrogen peroxide has been known to help with mold. A lot of people use a 3-in-1 spray...insecticide/fungicide/miticide.

A lack of air movement, as you mentioned, along with a warm location (under lights or a sunny windowseal) are places that mold grows well in...warm, dead air. If you are using grow lights then a small plug-in fan connected to your light's timer will help with the air circulation.
By Gary
I'll look into a small fan, good idea. Thanks!
By evenwind
Gary wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:27 am Sort of a fuzzy white fibrous substance. I found more after a closer look. I can try for a pic if that will help. I searched this subforum and found that hydrogen peroxide is a good solution.
You can also try a cinnamon spray.
By NightRaider
evenwind wrote:
Gary wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:27 am Sort of a fuzzy white fibrous substance. I found more after a closer look. I can try for a pic if that will help. I searched this subforum and found that hydrogen peroxide is a good solution.
You can also try a cinnamon spray.
I've tried cinnamon spray and it hasn't been particularly helpful for me (at least in very high humidity environments), the stuff just comes back within a day or two of application. Not to say it's not worth trying though, it may well work better for other people.
By Gary
How about using 70% isopropyl alcohol applied with a saturated swab or small brush? IPA is fairly innocuous. It's not exactly a fungicide, but might work to knock down the mold with repeated applications. The weather has warmed up here so I put the sundews out for some real sunshine and fresh air.
Has anyone tried IPA to fix this problem?
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!