FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By PetroleumJunkie412
So, I lowballed a make offer on an eBay auction, and am now unexpectedly the owner of a N. Edwardsiana. I certainly did not expect to have the offer accepted, nor did I expect to ever have one of these plants.

...I have no idea how the crap I'm going to grow this thing.

I've heard it's a highlander, it's an ultra highlander, and it's an intermediate grower. I've read forum posts where people have argued these points to death, and now I'm just confused.

Anyone have any advice on how I can avoid killing this thing? I'm no expert grower, but I'm no slouch either. Sure, I've killed a few plants. Who hasn't. But I've also convinced my bicalcarata to grow as a highlander and gotten a few hundred nepenthes seedlings growing without losing any sprouted plants.

So I'm looking for the hardline do's and don'ts for this species. Watering, temperature, media, humidity, light, etc. Personaity quarks like hamata's aversion to overhead watering, etc.

Thanks all!
PetroleumJunkie412 liked this
By SerMuncherIV
I've only had mine for a few months but it grows fine for me as a standard HL plant with high light, high humidity, and a 15-20F temp drop at night, doesn't seem to be particularly slow either. I was told by the seller to keep it slightly on the drier side. I'm sure someone else with more experience with this species can chime in, I know there are plenty of growers who have tried growing it in lower humidity, higher temperatures, etc.
By Leathal_Traps
Not a hard plant to grow at all. I heard exotica plants has a few in their LL greenhouse but I don't recommend you do that. Treat it as a standard intermediate/HL and it will do great.
By Chipi3s
I'm dying laughing right now because I'm 99% sure you bought mine. It's very easy to grow. If you got a highland setup you have nothing to worry about. Edwardsiana has been very easy to grow for me and I have it in intermediate-highland setup.
Chipi3s liked this
By PetroleumJunkie412
Benurmanii wrote:
PetroleumJunkie412 wrote: Personaity quarks like hamata's aversion to overhead watering, etc.

Thanks all!
Wat?

This is a thing?
I've read it a few places. Not sure.
By Benurmanii
PetroleumJunkie412 wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:
PetroleumJunkie412 wrote: Personaity quarks like hamata's aversion to overhead watering, etc.

Thanks all!
Wat?

This is a thing?
I've read it a few places. Not sure.
This sounds strange to me. I just saw a beautiful N. hamata at the Portland CP meetup and it was in an un-drained pot.
By PetroleumJunkie412
So, the edwardsiana is here. And it is TINY. But, I gave it a home in the high humidity tank to try to give it time to adjust. Have him sitting in chopped lfs/perlite for the time being.

That's my bicalcarata on the left for size reference.
DSC_0216.JPG
DSC_0216.JPG (761.25 KiB) Viewed 8739 times
By PetroleumJunkie412
Chipi3s wrote:Looking good! Patience and this will be a looker!
Hope so, it seems to not have noticed the trip, and the leaf that was mid-pitcher when shipped opened today, with another following. It seems to appreciate the high humidity and highland-ish temperature swings.

Hopefully it will continue the pace that it is showing. Might attempt to get a TINY bit of 1/4 tsp/gal of MaxSea on it next round with fertilizer. I've used this on all of my seed grown neps when they are still in cotyledon stage, with only positive results, and zero plant losses. It seems to really kick them in the ass when they are getting on their feet.

...only three more years till cuttings are available... :lol:
PetroleumJunkie412 liked this
By Benurmanii
More like seven, I received a N. sanguinea a year and a half ago with a 3 inch leaf span, now it is about 10 inches across and just barely starting to make a noticeable "vine".

Although, I don't feed my Neps, and they stay fairly cold during the winter and grow slowly.
By PetroleumJunkie412
Benurmanii wrote:
More like seven, I received a N. sanguinea a year and a half ago with a 3 inch leaf span, now it is about 10 inches across and just barely starting to make a noticeable "vine".

Although, I don't feed my Neps, and they stay fairly cold during the winter and grow slowly.
Challenge accepted. :mrgreen:

My plants are scattered throughout the house, and the Eddy is in a ebb and flow climate chamber. Self watering, humidity controlling, and timed lights. Additionally, they have a live culture of melanogaster fruit flies in there with them. Sure makes for easy feeding. :lol:

Maybe its just the power of the hybrid genes, but these two Nep x Suki (center) arrived in august of 2016 as 'small' size plants (maybe 2-3 in size). I've had them on my fertilizer blend since. Grainger pen on the shelf for size reference.

They are on a south window in my kitchen. I did find out that there is not enough light on the shelf in the winter for things like d. capensis, but every nepenthes I have put on it has virtually exploded. Except for the miranda. Because my cat will not stop eating it.
DSC_0231.JPG
DSC_0231.JPG (637.36 KiB) Viewed 8640 times
By Fishkeeper
Re: N. Edwardsiana advice needed - new owner
by Benurmanii » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:21 pm

I have two N. sanguinea, both of which I got at about 3" across in December. One is now 7", one is 8". Temps dip down into 60s sometimes when the weather swings oddly, but they catch a lot of gnats, and every leaf they throw out has a big healthy pitcher attached.
By Benurmanii
Fishkeeper wrote:
Re: N. Edwardsiana advice needed - new owner
by Benurmanii » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:21 pm

I have two N. sanguinea, both of which I got at about 3" across in December. One is now 7", one is 8". Temps dip down into 60s sometimes when the weather swings oddly, but they catch a lot of gnats, and every leaf they throw out has a big healthy pitcher attached.
Not very low night temps might account for the faster growth. My day temps during the winter are low 70s, high 60s, and night temps are right around 50. Stuff grows a lot faster during the summer when day temps are high 70s and nights high 60s, but I'm not too comfortable having those temps for long with some of my plants.

I also forget to water my non-terrarium Neps a lot, so the inconsistent watering may slow them down too.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!