FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By davinstewart
For my vfts, I kill the moss in the oven before potting up. I've found that live sphagnum moss will overgrow vfts and becomes a burden to keep trimmed back so I use the dead stuff and my plants love it. It also works well as a top dressing for plants potting in peat to help prevent the soil splashing up from rain.
MrB1664 wrote:Daft question but if you pot in LFSM does the pot still have to stand in a water tray or do you just water from the top as and when the moss dries out?
MrB1664 liked this
By andynorth
Thank you. I was confused for a moment when you mentioned "Sheet" which I thought you meant laid out flat like a sheet. You cleared it all up and I am doing pretty much what you said. I have not trimmed much of it for use but I have 4 seed trays with the humidity domes over them and they all have sufficient moss for me to use for a while. I bought some black lava rock and will soon attempt to grow some on that. Thanks for the input.
By andynorth
MrB1664 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:00 pm Daft question but if you pot in LFSM does the pot still have to stand in a water tray or do you just water from the top as and when the moss dries out?
I top water until there is about a half inch or so in the saucer.
MrB1664 liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!