FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of subjects other than carnivorous plants, such as orchids, landscapes, etc.

Moderator: Matt

By Grey
27th January 2013: check out this post for information about the big merge!

Hello everyone,

I'd like to share a website I've been working on over the past week; it's called "Grey's Pinguicula Garden" and if you hadn't guessed it's dedicated to my favourite carnivorous plant: the butterwort! The site revolves around caring for these beautiful plants and covers basic care tips like soil and watering to propagation. I will be adding articles relating to flowering, pollination and seed collection in the future!

I will update the site as often as possible and hope it provides you all with plenty of accurate, helpful information and care tips regarding pinguicula cultivation; I also have a contact form that allows you to submit pinguicula care-related questions to me directly.

Some of the sections and sub-sections are lacking photographs right now, this is something I am trying to fix so please bear with me while I try to compile some photos; I only wish to use ones I have taken myself or that I have received express permission to use.

So here is the URL for you, thanks for taking a peek:

Edit: 27th Janurary 2013
I've moved, it's now http://www.rnssg.com!
Grey, Grey liked this
By dantt99
It looks wonderful Grey! With a domain name, you'd be able to drive more traffic to your site. You can get a 15 dollar domain at http://domaincityhosting.com/
I also noticed that you utilized Weebly to build your site. I absolutely love Weebly's tools and design :D
I'll make sure to explore the site some more :D
dantt99 liked this
By Grey
Updated the website to include information on feeding and fertilization. Will be rearranging the seed related information relatively soon to keep the site looking tidy; will include pollination and seed extraction advice.

Edit: The site may not display correctly for a short period of time while I update the layout.
By Grey
I've done some long overdue updates on the site today. I apologize for the length of time it has taken me to finally get around to doing it, real life things have been stacking up but have calmed down a little now. Hopefully I can become more focused again. Right, the updates include:

* New Category: Staying Eco-Friendly
* Spelling and grammar fixes
* Added more information to "Diagnosing Problems" including new methods for dealing with rosette rot, bug infestations and fungus/mould
* Added a touch of information on when cold temperate and mexican pinguicula may flower
* Updated homepage to reflect relevent changes
* Updated Mexican Pinguicula species list

Still got a lot more to add but I'm quite satisfied with todays updates so far.
Grey wrote:Updated the website to include information on feeding and fertilization.
Seems some info got lost when I updated the layout a few weeks ago. Hmm. Will be remedying that soon. Edit: Fixed.
By Grey
bowlyB wrote:i have a few mexican pings pictures if you want P. Tina and P. agnata
they're really healthy.
It's all right thank you, I'm set for mexican pinguicula photos. I appreciate the offer though!
Shes Crofty wrote:Your site looks amazing. I really, really like it.

I especially like the "Your questions > Answers" :)
Heh, thank you! I'm glad you like it. Oh yes, it's rather empty right now though hahah.
By Grey
Everything I grow is situated in my bedroom but I don't only grow carnivorous plants, I have a variety of vegetable plants and a pair of orchids too; I also keep and maintain a variety of animals and wanted to share some photos and stories about them with the Flytrapcare.com community.

First up are my stick insects: Creeper, Terra and Gaia. Their scientific name is Extatosoma tiaratum but they are often referred to as a Macleay's Spectre or giant spiny leaf insect. Females can grow up to 20cm long whereas males usually reach 11-13cm and both feast on bramble. Other food sources are eucalyptus (we own two Eucalyptus gunii trees but they aren't of sufficient size to use as a food source yet), rose and oak. I had created another topic regarding an E. tiaratum nymph (baby) that I acquired months ago but unfortunately she perished (very likely due to no fault of my own but rather the high mortality rate amongst babies). I was utterly devastated when I lost Spectre, as she had been called, but decided to go ahead with breeding plans I had made for her future using a different pair of females.

To start with though I'd like to introduce the man of the house, Creeper. He was a gift to me from a friend and arrived the day after Spectre's passing. He is a sub-adult (one moult away from becoming an adult) and has a short pair of undeveloped wing buds - once he becomes an adult he will be able to fly. He's a very docile little creature and doesn't mind being handled, he'll quite happily sit on my wrist while I do stuff or clean his tank out. The mottling above his mandibles reminds me of a handlebar moustache.

When you spend all your time looking at two chunky female E. tiaratum it can be quite horrifying to see your male looking exceptionally thin. When I realized that Creeper had gone off bramble I thought he was going to die due to not wanting to feed, I hopped around the garden looking for a food source and was informed that we have a well-established rose bush. Upon trying the rose leaves with Creeper we discovered he quickly became besotted with them, so we fed him exclusively on rose for a while. He is now back to eating bramble but we always give him rose leaves as well just in case.

Now I'd like for you to meet the sisters, Gaia and Terra. I wanted to breed E. tiaratum and sell on the eggs or babies while donating part of the money earned to charity, I love these animals and hoped that this breeding program would share that love and joy. I had set to acquiring a single sub-adult female to act as Creeper's wife but upon making some enquiries with a particular gentleman I found myself with not one but two ladies. When they arrived I was absolutely stunned at just how much larger they were than Spectre (although they were much older than she). I set them up in a temporary enclosure while their main one was being arranged and sat a ruler by them to take some photos to show just how large they were (about 10 - 11cm long, also the cube is around 30cm tall so that gives a good size comparison).

About a week after receiving them Terra moulted into an adult. She's now a whopping 16 cm long (this is an estimate) and very aggressive. The ladies don't like being handled too much and so I have taken rather a hands-off approach to avoid stressing them. Gaia should be due to moult soon, as should Creeper. I don't have any close up photos of Terra, nor anything to compare her with but here is a small photo I was able to take of her a day or two after she finished moulting and drying out.

I'm currently in the midst of creating a stick insect nursery for future babies out of an old shelving unit. It has already been lined with clear plastic to waterproof it and I spent a lovely afternoon hammering tacks into plastic mesh for the roof (it's better to have a mesh roof to allow the stick insects to moult unhindered). I'll get photos up once the thing is completed.

Next up: my beetles! I own a pair of sun beetles, scientific name Pachnoda marginata peregrina; they have been lovingly named Herp and Derp (these names are very likely to be changed) and they reside in a terrarium on my desk. Deep in the soil of their home lay three cocoons that I am eagerly awaiting to hatch into more adult beetles - I also believe there to be a pair of grubs currently foraging on old leaf litter and decaying wood. Herp and Derp's home is special for many reasons but particularly so because they share it with my Utricularia and a pair of Pinguicula weser. Yes, I have beetles in a carnivorous plant terrarium - guess what - they get along beautifully!

The U. sandersonii is a bit of a pain to keep moist as it's growing along a piece of driftwood and the plants, I'm sure, could do with a little more light but they've grown well so far. The Pinguicula stopped producing mucus for a short while but has since continued and I have spied the beetles supping at this ... delicious? stuff a number of times. The purpose of the butterworts is to help reduce mite populations within the soil (as these beetles feed on fruit and fruit jellies there are bound to be a myriad of micro fauna rummaging through the soil as well looking for tasty morsels). All plants are grown along the back wall of the terrarium to allow plenty of burrowing space nearer the front of the enclosure, the piece of driftwood also has two tunnels going beneath it though I have not seen the beetles using this yet... they prefer to burrow into the plants.

ImageImage

Sun beetles can, like most beetles, fly and when they do so they are rather loud (sounding like toy helicopters or excessively large bees). I love watching them -- one has learned that if he positions himself just right he can actually hover around very well whereas the other tends to fly into one wall, rebound and fly into another wall and another until he ends up on his back. Both beetles have regularly fallen onto their backs from being overzealous in their climbing attempts (they regularly hang from the mesh roof as they enjoy the heat from the light) but they are always able to right themselves. To reach the mesh roof Herp and Derp have to climb the back wall of the terrarium. I'm glad the styrofoam background can accommodate.

The next animal in my secret garden is "D", the giant African land snail (GALS). I raised him from an egg provided to me by my previous pair of snails, Dawn and Dusk. I don't have many photos of my snails, unfortunately, as I had them at a time when cameras were very difficult to use... they're still difficult to use but I'm improving. Dawn and Dusk were rehomed to a local school and now live happily with another GALS and two giant millipedes. I was able to get a single photo of Dusk that showed what a character he was:

Being a snail he decided to retract his antenna and stick his head through the hole in his plant pot cave... He looks rather like a giant ball of white snot (he was albino, Dawn was your typical brown GALS - the name is a paradox!) but I loved him nonetheless. I'll get some photos of "D", hopefully at his next bath and show you all just how gorgeous he is. His shell is about 8cm long but it's growing all the time. He loves to eat freshly harvested lettuce grown in a trough on my windowsill as well as cucumber and apple.
Grey, Grey, Grey and 1 others liked this
By Grey
Like many Flytrapcare.com forum goers I have cats, two in fact. Their names are Misi and Skatty; I've shared photos of them before but thought I'd throw a few out here again anyway. They are both wonderful, soppy animals (although Misi is often very bitey with me, though she falls asleep on me enough times to warrant biting me as I am a heathen and move when she's trying to sleep) and I'm glad to have them in my life.

This is Skatty, he is the helpful one. Before I ended up with sun beetles Skatty decided the best use of my desk would be for him to groom his paws on, he also decided to sit on something I was reading and needed at the time (yes, it's a Final Fantasy walkthrough).

He simply... doesn't care.

Misi, on the other hand, does care. She cares a lot...

Just not today (or, er, whenever this photo was taken)...

When I went to go on to explain about my bettas (betta spledens) I ended up with an error and was informed that the web page had expired, so I lost everything I wrote... d'oh! Oh well.

I keep and maintain two male betta spledens, also known as Siamese fighting fish (but there is no fighting here I assure you!). Bettas are like the venus fly traps of the fish world, the care instructions given by chain stores usually prove to be incorrect and so the keeper and the animal or plant can end up suffering great amounts of stress for it. This is not a dig at people or chain stores but rather a general frustration I have with the vast quantities of misinformation that has been spread about due to nothing other than myth... but I digress.

My two bettas are known as Kaze and Echo. I recently decided to rescape their tanks, Kaze's hasn't been started yet due to waiting for supplies to come into stock but I do have some photos of him and his tank - they aren't very good quality because fish are hard to photograph (who knew?!).

ImageImage

The boy himself...

ImageImage

He has a few issues with hurting himself on ornaments so I've had to be careful over the last few months regarding what I put into his tank, I look forward to giving him a soft and gentle home once I'm able to pick up supplies. For now he's comfy in a 21 litre (5 gallons), heated and filtered aquarium with lots of plants and a large piece of driftwood.

Echo is my second betta. He's a wonderful (albeit angry) little beast and I was very pleased when I finally finished his aquarium. I was able to get a few decent photographs of his tank but only one of him, I look forward to updating Kaze's images with photos of this quality but that won't be for a little while yet. Here is Echo's new tank, it is a heated, filtered 24 litre (5.5 gal) cube and is packed with (live) plants.

There is absolutely nothing else I can say to describe Echo's personality. The below photo (him showing his intense appreciation for all the time and effort I put into his tank) explains it all.

You're welcome, my dear. You're welcome.
Grey, Grey liked this

Order received. Your order number is 1672. I'll PM[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

Hi there! I’m new to carnivorous plants and […]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

primaflora likes to be almost wet. I keep it in sh[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1671. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1670. I'll PM[…]

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!