FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Ryleigh Witt
What can I do to save it? It’s mushy and starting to turn yellow/brown. Any suggestions?
By Ryleigh Witt
Here! Sorry, I thought attached one earlier
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 838 times
By Panman
We're probably going to need more information. How long have you had the plant? What kind of soil is it potted in? Is that a plastic or terracotta pot? What kind of water are you using? Does it normally sit in as much water as is shown in the photo? What kind of light is it getting? Finally, where are you located? These things should help us troubleshoot your problem.
By Ryleigh Witt
I haven’t had the plant long, just a few days I’m new to this. It’s a terracotta pot with distilled water, no there normally isn’t that much water it’s what a friend told me to do but so far it isn’t helping. It’s kept under grow lights about 8 inches. I did some research before getting it but now I’m starting to question what I did, I am located in Michigan.
By Panman
Okay, so the terracotta pot will be a problem long term, but it isn't likely the cause of your problem. Terracotta will leach minerals into the soil that are toxic for flytraps. Plastic pots are the safest but you can also used glazed pots as long as the entire pot is glazed.

Distilled water is good.

Grow lights may also be a problem long term but not your current problem. Flytraps need very intense light. At least 6 hours of unobstructed, direct sunlight per day. With a good grow light you can get away with 12 to 16 hours of light per day indoors.

You didn't mention the soil that it is in or where you got the plant. Looking at the picture, that soil looks like it may be some form of peat moss, but it looks very dry. Did you mix the soil with water before potting the plant? Just adding water to the soil, or sitting it in a tray of water will not hydrate the soil. It has to be actively mixed in order for the peat to absorb the water. Once the peat is hydrated, you can water it normally.

The depth of water that you currently have it in will also be a long term problem, but you are going to need to repot out of the terracotta anyway. Flytraps have roots that are about 5 inches long, and they do not like to have the tips of their roots below the waterline for any extended period of time.
andynorth liked this
By Ryleigh Witt
Thank you! My roommate also moved to the sliding glass doors where it is really cold could that have anything to do with it?
By Ryleigh Witt
I just put water in it as you suggested, I had just been adding water to the pot
By Panman
Okay, that is your problem. Peat moss will not absorb water added to it. You need to unpot everything and put the plants in a cup of distilled water for a couple of hours. Then, take the soil and put it in a plastic bag. Add 1/2 cup of water to the bag and massage it until it is all absorbed. Repeat this until the peat is a consistent dark brown color and you can just squeeze some water out of the peat when it is compressed. After the plant has soaked, repot it, being sure to keep the white part of the rhizome above the surface of the soil. You will need to get a different pot, but right now it is more important to get that plant in soil where it can get some water. Once it is in a plastic pot, keep it sitting in 1/2 to 1/4 of an inch of water. Wait until the water dries up out of the tray before adding more.
By Panman
Ryleigh Witt wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:26 pm How much water should I put in the cup?
Panman wrote:Once it is in a plastic pot, keep it sitting in 1/2 to 1/4 of an inch of water.

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!