FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
Hey everyone,

Were getting a Giant African Millipede and I would like to get some cps for in the terrarium. The problem is the soil has high nutrient levels. I would just put a rock with pings in there but they need lots of light and we don't plan to put any artificial lighting in there. I think my best bet would be Nepenthes. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
By Sundews69
Okay, amps need warmer temps. We're not heating it or anything - just leaving it at room temperature so that won't work. A veitchii might work. Do you think the Millipede might eat it? Also, do you think I should plant it in a rock or rotting wood or in a Styrofoam background (if we get a background)? I was also thinking an albomarginata might work? They can take intermediate temps I think and they stay small for a while.
By NightRaider
I've got a gracilis coming in a day or two for a terrarium I've been working on, as from what I've read it's essentially a smaller, less expensive albomarginata. I figured since it was only like $13 from Florae, no harm done if it doesn't work out. I haven't decided yet where to put it, but it'll likely either be in a net pot that I built into the background with spray foam insulation or in the top of a cork bark round. If I was doing it again, I'd probably take a ~3" diameter cork round, cut it to 4-5" tall and seal the bottom with Great Stuff - effectively turning it into a pot that would look like a stump when partially buried in the substrate. Or you could drill/cut or use a natural hole in a cork flat or round for a horizontal "log" look.
By Sundews69
Ok thanks for the suggestion! Doesn't gracilis need lowland conditions though? Do you know how well they can handle low light? That's a good idea with the wood that you buried to look like a stump!
By Sundews69
Nevermind, I just looked up gracilis and it is found at the same range as albomarginata.
Counting to infinity.

Has anyone seen this?!?!

... Also, hamata and diabolica do just fine in tis[…]

Ah, ok, Google says it's a town in western Austral[…]

No, titanium is still too heavy. I'm looking at th[…]

Do you think this is helping? Relax, I'll get you […]

Hey, hey, hey!!!! Got'em!!! :mrgreen: Ok, I'[…]

Plus bonus (is mixed threadleaf a bonus? if not, t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!