FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
Hey everyone,

Were getting a Giant African Millipede and I would like to get some cps for in the terrarium. The problem is the soil has high nutrient levels. I would just put a rock with pings in there but they need lots of light and we don't plan to put any artificial lighting in there. I think my best bet would be Nepenthes. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
By Sundews69
Okay, amps need warmer temps. We're not heating it or anything - just leaving it at room temperature so that won't work. A veitchii might work. Do you think the Millipede might eat it? Also, do you think I should plant it in a rock or rotting wood or in a Styrofoam background (if we get a background)? I was also thinking an albomarginata might work? They can take intermediate temps I think and they stay small for a while.
By NightRaider
I've got a gracilis coming in a day or two for a terrarium I've been working on, as from what I've read it's essentially a smaller, less expensive albomarginata. I figured since it was only like $13 from Florae, no harm done if it doesn't work out. I haven't decided yet where to put it, but it'll likely either be in a net pot that I built into the background with spray foam insulation or in the top of a cork bark round. If I was doing it again, I'd probably take a ~3" diameter cork round, cut it to 4-5" tall and seal the bottom with Great Stuff - effectively turning it into a pot that would look like a stump when partially buried in the substrate. Or you could drill/cut or use a natural hole in a cork flat or round for a horizontal "log" look.
By Sundews69
Ok thanks for the suggestion! Doesn't gracilis need lowland conditions though? Do you know how well they can handle low light? That's a good idea with the wood that you buried to look like a stump!
By Sundews69
Nevermind, I just looked up gracilis and it is found at the same range as albomarginata.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!