FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By grant
Great shots, Matt and Steve.
By Adam
Nice photos! Great find, Matt.

I remember I was in Europe and found a viper eating a frog. I didn't have a camera at the time.
By Amac
Matt wrote:I too have seen lots of jumping spiders on my traps. They are awesome little dudes. I don't know if this is a jumping spider or not (most of the ones I see are usually grey or black), but check out this situation that I came across one day when I was out in the hills looking for stuff to take photos of with my macro lens:
I'm guessing that the spider waited for the bee to come to the flower and ambushed it. They must be pretty strong dudes to be able to take down an insect twice their size.

That's actually a crab spider they change color with the flower they're on and wait for an insect to come along and then they'd attack. Funny they're kind of like a vft.
By Amac
Steve_D wrote:
Matt wrote:I too have seen lots of jumping spiders on my traps. They are awesome little dudes. I don't know if this is a jumping spider or not (most of the ones I see are usually grey or black), but check out this situation that I came across one day when I was out in the hills looking for stuff to take photos of with my macro lens: I'm guessing that the spider waited for the bee to come to the flower and ambushed it. They must be pretty strong dudes to be able to take down an insect twice their size.
Wow! Yeah. People don't give animals, insects (and even plants like our beloved Venus Flytraps, I guess) enough credit for smarts! A spider apparently making a carefully calculated ambush. :D

I wonder if this little guy I found in one of our King Lamoni daylilies is the same or related species of spider as in your great macro? I wonder if this genus or species makes a habit of laying in wait in flowers for unsuspecting insects? :o

This is the same type of spider as the one that Matt found
By Amac
Sorry I'm kind of a bug guy that's how I came across vtf's you know, preadators prey that sorta thing :]
By Adam
Nice to have people on here with so many cool interests and hobbies!
By Siannuro
Those are awesome pictures. If you make a calendar for 2010 I'm willing to buy one! Oh and the bee got PWNED! spider FTW!

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

Hello from New England

Welcome

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

You should check Craig's List for plastic, food-g[…]

I notice that the tds readings of my tapwater can […]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

It's too soon to be able to provide a positive ID.[…]

Fun supermarket

Spam?

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!