FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
Great questions, Mike!

hollyhock, I absolutely agree with the title of your post! I'm no experienced grower, but I've found that propagating plants vegetably is *so much faster* and does seem to result in larger plants than starting from seeds. The hurdle for many newbies is getting a mother plant to use to for propagating more plants. For me, most of my leaf-cuttings (sundews) have come from plants that I've gotten (thankfully!) from other people. Though some (dreamsicle OP primarily) have come from seedgrown plants. Once you have that mother plant, by seed or acquisition, propagation becomes much more interesting and the gratification of mature plants can be had much quicker than with seeds. My first attempt at leaf-cutting was a success and has me addicted to it, I need to venture out, though, being as filiformis is all that I've attempted...so far. It's definitely "BETTER THAN SEEDS"!!!! :D
By Intheswamp
hollyhock wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:09 pm R/0 water about an inch or so in a glass beaker. I did change the water every few weeks. Or added. I cut off the entire stalks as close to the mother plants . They weren't in direct light to avoid algae growth. I was very pleased with the results 😀 The above photo is rhe largest one. But I was able to get several. And yes I would definitely do this experiment again. Way faster than seeds to get bigger clones
And...a great answer!!! :D
hollyhock liked this
By Intheswamp
You think that’s funny? You oughta *hear* me pronounce some of these plant names!!!! :lol:

Actually, vegetably is how my wife thinks my mind works. :!: :mrgreen:
hollyhock liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!