FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Anzenix
So I am trying to come up with some ideas/designs to make a small-ish bog for a couple of Sarracenias I acquired recently. I like to get a bit creative at times but I don't want to overthink it (still a newbie here). I hear that these plants tend to like running water so would it be weird to have clusters at different heights on an incline with a water pump at the end for creating running water? Does speed of the running water or water temp. (I believe it needed to be cool for the most part) factor in by any chance?

Just random thoughts but it would help a lot to get some insight on how others have approached their design when making a mini bog. Hope to hear from some of you, thank you!
By Panman
Running water isn't necessary for Sarrs. Darlingtonia tend to like it in warmer climates. An important thing to consider is the size of the pot. It needs to be deep enough for Sarracenia roots. I would recommend at least 8 inches or more deep. You will also want it big enough that you don't have to redo it soon. A small sarr can quickly fill an 8 inch container. I'd recommend that you have enough space that each plant has an 8 inch diameter in which to grow. That should allow you to only need to repot after a couple of years.
By Anzenix
Mkay, I'm not working with Darlingtonia at the moment so I can probably scratch this idea then. So an 8-in pot for each plant, and just do something more simple like placing them in one of those blue kids pool I see sometimes w/ water? Do you think there would be a merit to doing something different?
By Panman
It depends on how many plants you have and what look you are going for. I have my sarrs in 2 inch through 15 inch pots, depending on the size. Anything less than 6 inches generally gets repotted every year because they outgrow the pot. Even then, it is only a couple of years before they need to be divided. I also have several container bogs that I made with 15 gallon water troughs from Tractor Supply. I have a mix of sarrs, sundews, and flytraps in them. Those also have to be reworked every two to three years.
MikeB liked this
By Anzenix
Like the Oval water trough? I don't have many grown plants, but I do have a bunch of seeds that I will be getting ready. So I'll soon be getting quite a bit (or at least thats the hope). I do have a look in mind but I just need something functional to get started with.
By Panman
If you are undecided, then I would just go with potting the plants and keeping them in a tray of water. If you think you may do something in the next year or so, you won't need to go with as large of a pot.
Anzenix liked this
By Intheswamp
Weird. I wrote a response in this thread yesterday but it ain't here. Of course between then and now who knows if I ever hit the infamous "Submit" button!!! :mrgreen:

I was just gonna say, that rather than a kiddie pool you might consider utility/cement mixing tub...black, fairly durable, and as a water tray should hold a fair number of pots for someone starting out. I've got an old large one we bought years ago...I've mixed cement in it, washed dogs in it, used for a large "potting table", etc., and it still is holding up well (lots of scrapes and scratches on the bottom but for what it's been through that's expected. Oh, and it's been stored outdoors for years...sometimes in the shade, sometimes in the sun. The drawback is that that they are...black, so there could be an issue of them overheating. I haven't used the old one for my plants but I bought one of the smaller one with the intentions of using it for a water tray. Something tells me the new, smaller one won't be as durable/robust as the old, large one has been.
Link: Cement Mixing Tubs @ Lowes

Large Sterilite plastic containers work well for water trays, especially indoors. Outdoors they're usually good for a couple of years, maybe three, for me before they get brittle from the sun and start breaking.
By Anzenix
MikeB wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:13 am If you want to see what Sarracenia can do in a large-ish pot, check out this post.
That is nice! Mine are still itty-bitty little things. I got a long road ahead of me... and many insects that need a new forever "home"... :mrgreen:
By Anzenix
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:20 pm Weird. I wrote a response in this thread yesterday but it ain't here. Of course between then and now who knows if I ever hit the infamous "Submit" button!!! :mrgreen:

I was just gonna say, that rather than a kiddie pool you might consider utility/cement mixing tub...black, fairly durable, and as a water tray should hold a fair number of pots for someone starting out. I've got an old large one we bought years ago...I've mixed cement in it, washed dogs in it, used for a large "potting table", etc., and it still is holding up well (lots of scrapes and scratches on the bottom but for what it's been through that's expected. Oh, and it's been stored outdoors for years...sometimes in the shade, sometimes in the sun. The drawback is that that they are...black, so there could be an issue of them overheating. I haven't used the old one for my plants but I bought one of the smaller one with the intentions of using it for a water tray. Something tells me the new, smaller one won't be as durable/robust as the old, large one has been.
Link: Cement Mixing Tubs @ Lowes

Large Sterilite plastic containers work well for water trays, especially indoors. Outdoors they're usually good for a couple of years, maybe three, for me before they get brittle from the sun and start breaking.
I guess I might as well hit Lowes/Home depot and see what they got. Most things have... shifted in quality and not for the better.. lol
By htbm
ISTM having the water running isn't for the plants' benefit, it's to make it a difficult environment for mosquitos to breed and survive in (if they can't land to lay eggs, or larvae can't catch a breath at the surface).
By Panman
That kind of makes sense. Mosquito Dunks or Mosquito Bits that you can get from big box stores work great for mosquito control.
By Intheswamp
Panman, to me it seems like the dunks raise the TDS up pretty high if you use more than a pinch. But, if you have a mosquito problem (who doesn't in the south?) they're definitely an option.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!