FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
You've requested three times previously, received a total of nine packs of seeds, and have no germination?
Tell me what your process is. Media? Lighting? Water? Temperature? Stratification? Duration? Where are you?
You've received seeds in spring, summer, and fall, so you should have had some sort of Goldilocks environmental conditions at one point. I find it strange that nothing, especially Capes, have done anything.
Help us help you successfully germinate some seeds.
husslefuss liked this
By husslefuss
Process is that I used a 50/50 mix of peat moss/pumice with the seeds sprinkles on top and pressed down for hopefully good contact against the media. Water is water from a zero water pitcher. Lighting I've tried a couple of different environments, for the VFT and cape seeds I tried putting my containers into a plastic ziplock bag and put one in an area that only got a couple of hours of sunlight a day, one in a ziplock in indirect light, and one just out in the open kept in a tray of water (this one's surface got funky over time and I was sure the VFT seeds were done for, along with the capes). I haven't stratified the VFT but I was reading up that it wasn't necessary.
For the sarracenia and D. intermedia I've tried water strat in the fridge and then dumped the seeds onto my media that's kept in a watering tray outside but that also didn't do much.
I've kept hopeful on my trays from when I received the seeds until basically September, but the media was just getting kind of funky instead. At one point i'm fairly certain there were a ton of fungus gnats in the non ziplocked pots.
I was planning on starting a bog container for my already established sarracenias and sundews so I was trying to see if there would be any germination if I sprinkled them over the surface
I'm inland Southern California if that changes anything about how you would prep seeds

Any advice on a hopefully successful setup?
By ChefDean
It sounds like your doing things right, but does the peat have any additives?
Are the seeds kept inside or out after sowing? How hot are they getting?
VFT's don't need stratification, how long are the others in strat? What temperature and how long?
What time does your mail get delivered? Is your mailbox on the sun? How long do they sit in the mailbox before you pick them up?
Being SoCal, your seeds may pass through irradiation. Does the envelope feel like old paper or smell like it's been baked/subjected to high heat when you get it?
If you've had zero germination from nine packs, there's probably only one or two things that the seeds may be experiencing to cause it. It's virtually impossible that every seed you've received is a dud, so there has to be some other reason.
The only other thing I can think of trying as far as mailing would be to either rotate the envelope 90 degrees, so the left side is now the top. This causes the machines to reject it and it must be handled by hand. Or, ship them in a box to avoid the machines altogether. These methods probably won't save them from irradiation if they experience it, but that hasn't been proven to have an affect on seeds. However, those studies likely studied "normal" seeds, not the tiny ones from carnivorous plants.
By husslefuss
My peat comes from a big bale that's not miracle-gro, so it shouldn't have any additives, but I don't rinse it
All my seeds are kept outside after sowing. I tried several methods to see which one gave me the best (or any) results
#1. sprinkled over the top of media, uncovered in full sun, but in a tray of water, similar to my other carnivorous plants
#2. Covered in a ziplock bag, only getting 1-2 hours of direct sun to minimize the chance of cooking, but to also still give it some light
#3. Covered in a shady spot of the garden that would never get direct sun
Unfortunately my mail gets mailed around early afternoon (2PM) in a mailbox in direct sun and I don't get home until 7 PM from work so it might have cooked? I would imagine a ton of people would have problems with growing seeds though if this was a factor that would kill the seeds. The envelope does look a little beat up but honestly nothing that I would say would surprise me.
Honestly I just thought seeds were really hard to germinate, maybe I should hold off on the D. intermedia and stick with non stratified seeds

This thread has got me thinking if I should try starting in a separate container again. For capes and VFT's, would you say covered or uncovered is the move, and in partial or direct or completely indirect sun?
Should I also start in LFSM instead?
Should I start doing 1/3 sand 1/3 peat moss 1/3 pumice so that the media doesn't get so funky if sitting in a water tray?
By ChefDean
husslefuss wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:09 pmUnfortunately my mail gets mailed around early afternoon (2PM) in a mailbox in direct sun and I don't get home until 7 PM from work so it might have cooked? I would imagine a ton of people would have problems with growing seeds though if this was a factor that would kill the seeds.
But most people don't live in Southern California. Maybe we could look into a hold for pickup at your post office, but that would cost more as it doesn't look like they'll do it for a first class letter.
husslefuss wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:09 pmHonestly I just thought seeds were really hard to germinate, maybe I should hold off on the D. intermedia and stick with non stratified seeds
That's just it, they're not that difficult to germinate. Some are challenging to keep going after germination, but most of us have accidentally dropped seeds that have sprouted and grew into fine plants without too much fuss.
husslefuss wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:09 pmThis thread has got me thinking if I should try starting in a separate container again. For capes and VFT's, would you say covered or uncovered is the move, and in partial or direct or completely indirect sun?
Should I also start in LFSM instead?
Should I start doing 1/3 sand 1/3 peat moss 1/3 pumice so that the media doesn't get so funky if sitting in a water tray?
I couldn't tell you what's a good move as Tennessee is different than SoCal. Personally, I research each ones optimal media and put them outside when the weather warms up. If in doubt, LFSM/perlite is a good default media.
By ChefDean
Order received.
Your order number is 1532.
I'll PM you shortly with a mailing address for your SASE.
Thank you for your order.

Reminder to all:
Please remember to write your Forum username and order number somewhere on the envelope or in a note.
I don't have access to a cross reference of real-world names linked to usernames.
Remembering these things helps me fill orders quicker.
Thank you.

Happy growing,
Chef
By husslefuss
Right now is pretty mild weather, so it might be the time to start getting some seeds haha. If I don't plant out the VFT and cape seeds right away should I store in the fridge?
Thanks for looking into my method and trying to help Chef
By elaineo
I used to live in SoCal, and got mail-order CP seeds to germinate fine back then. I'd recommend starting the seeds indoors. intense sunlight + desert climate can kill a seedling as soon as it sprouts, even if it's sitting in a tray of water.
ChefDean, husslefuss liked this
By elaineo
husslefuss wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:57 am Sorry, also forgot to mention the SASE went out Monday!

@Elaineo hopefully starting seeds early spring will be gentler on the seedlings! I don't really have a good setup for indoors unfortunately
You don't need a setup. Just a windowsill, top of a bookshelf, a kitchen counter, anywhere you have a few square inches. Move them outside after they sprout and get some roots going. Good luck!
andynorth liked this
By ChefDean
SASE received.
Order is fulfilled.
Return envelope going out in tomorrow's mail.

Happy growing,
Chef
Where is the cheapest place to buy pots

Hi all! I just ran out of large pots for my sarra[…]

tommyr's grow list

pm'ed ya!

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

just pm'ed you!

Catching the Nep fever

Surprisingly, I have never really put effort into […]

Hello from the California!

Wow! this forum has an amazing set up for seeds! I[…]

April 2024 Photo Contest - Stuck on You

Much thanks to Optique and what an incredible, hea[…]

Liberation from Lowe’s

Holy moly! Wait that division just happens natural[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!