FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
So I had to cut my Cora Lily back a bit and separated it in to 2 pots as one of the pitchers grew too fast and it ended up falling over and splitting at the bottom. They are in straight silica sand and have been doing great since I first had them. I started the baby plant in the spring in my greenhouse and eventually moved it outside where it has been thriving. However, after repotting the main plant, it has started sending out new pitchers and of all things, a flower stalk. I am pretty sure this is not normal. I am south of Seattle and my bowl with water pump has been outside most of the year. Has anyone ever seen this happen? I think it is great as I would like to get some seeds but I am afraid there may not be enough time before it goes dormant. Should I let it go dormant or put back in my greenhouse and let the flower come up first?
Attachments:
20231021_103502.jpg
20231021_103502.jpg (3.15 MiB) Viewed 436 times
By MikeB
Some of my Sarracenia will hallucinate and pop a flower in late summer or early fall. I always cut them off. These out-of-season flowers never develop properly, and I don't want the plants to waste their reserves on blooming when they're supposed to be stocking up for dormancy.

I don't think this flower will have enough time to ripen the seeds before the cold weather sets in. Even in the greenhouse, the plant will have low food production due to the weak sunshine (unless you put a very bright grow light over the pot).
andynorth liked this
By andynorth
OK. I will cut the flower stalk and stick to my original plan. I do have a fairly bright light, keeps my Drosera red and full of mucilage. However, it was apparent that it was not enough when I did have it in the greenhouse as it did not start turning red until I put it outside. Eventually I will finish my pond and the plan is to have it fairly close to the waterfall so I can keep cool water running in to the Styrofoam enclosure I will put it in, thereby trying to replicate its growing environment while keeping cool water running through the roots.

Intheswamp requests the pack of D. capensis "[…]

New donation

I'd like to thank thepitchergrower for his latest […]

1633 expired and canceled

This request has expired and been canceled, seeds […]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

NASC Auction

Moderators please remove if not allowed. . Terraf[…]

Intermedia

I may have made a mistake, but I did something. S[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!