FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
It appears that in regards to astronomical timers that there are two main types. One type is where you enter a fairly exact latitude. In the other you simply select a southern, central, or northern region. Would the exact latitude entry be more precise than the "region" type? Or will there not be enough difference to really make a difference?

Thanks!
Ed
By Shadowtski
I've tried both types and the plants appreciate any effort you make to give them a natural photoperiod.
My own personal OCD nature prefers the accurate version where the lights turn on and off at the time your local weather forecast says they should.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Thanks! I posted a question on Amazon regarding a switch-box type astro timer. I asked if it could be set for dawn to dusk operation and it appeared to fly over everybody's head and they responded in regards to "dusk to dawn" or either stated they saw no reason to have it dawn to dusk.<sigh> Have you got a model that you would recommend?
By Shadowtski
Which model are you considering?
I bought two of these and set each up in a 4x4x2 1/8 electrical box with double duplex raised cover for controlling multiple lights.
These cover dawn to dusk operation and can be set up for your exact Latitude and Longitude.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003A ... =UTF8&th=1
By andynorth
That one definitely looks interesting. I am wondering if there is a way to hack so I would not have to hard wire to home electrical. My light for my plants is controlled by an app so I was thinking if I could rig this up to plug in to my power strip and then let it control when to start and stop by my location. I might just buy one and mess with it to see what I can come up with. Hacking electronics is an old favorite past time of mine.
By Panman
If you have an internet connection, I have been very pleased with the Wyze Smart Plugs for Sunrise to Sunset.
By wcrosman
I use these for the same reason Panman uses his.
F24B1429-2DB5-4C0A-A84C-136CD5574D7B.png
F24B1429-2DB5-4C0A-A84C-136CD5574D7B.png (651.71 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
51B80914-61B4-4A90-8721-42C52FB0C7CE.jpeg
51B80914-61B4-4A90-8721-42C52FB0C7CE.jpeg (100.25 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
By Intheswamp
In my situation I have no Internet connection so I need a standalone solution. The Leviton looks like it will be perfect, just ordered it...it even dropped about $0.75 since this morning. :mrgreen: I got to thinking about it and I'll probably just throw it in a single box, either cut 6' power cord in half and put the timer in the middle and plug a power strip in it the female end. Or either just find one of the heavier cords that I tend to *always* stick back for a rainy day when a motor or something burns out...wire it up, chop the male end of a power strip cord off and wire it directly to the timer output. With a 15-amp capacity it'll run the lights and a couple of small 6" fans with no problem. If I need more lights...well, I'll seek counseling...and wire another one up. :mrgreen:
Panman liked this
By andynorth
Sounds like half the route I was planning to go with that device but since I have Internet in my plant room the WYZE one will work perfect for me.
Intheswamp liked this
By Panman
I've done some dodgy setups before. In your case, I would do the same thing.
By Intheswamp
Shadowtski wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:52 pm Which model are you considering?
I bought two of these and set each up in a 4x4x2 1/8 electrical box with double duplex raised cover for controlling multiple lights.
These cover dawn to dusk operation and can be set up for your exact Latitude and Longitude.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003A ... =UTF8&th=1
I see they drop the amp capacity for LEDs with the switch. 1500 watts for incandescent bulbs but then 5 amps (600 watts) for LED lights. I'm planning on running *several* lights off of the Leviton timer. Here is what I currently have on hand:
4 - Yescom 225 white @ 22w each = 88w
1 - Viparspectra XS1000 @ 100w
3 - 3-panel LED garage lights @ 80w each = 240w
3 - 48" LED shoplights @ ~40w each = 120w
Total = ~548 watts

The total amperage should be below the 5 amp LED max for the timer and leave a little headroom. I still don't have a good understanding of the lower limit for LEDs...most places talk about heat dissipation and electronic switching having something to do with then.

Listing the LED lights above has given me some insight into the better(?) lights. The ones that will probably be replaced first are the 48" shoplights. I recently tested them with the Photone app on my phone and they came it as being weak in comparison to the garage lights and of course to the Viparspectra XS1000. I take the readings from the app as more of a comparative data rather than an absolute. I feel confident that the Yescoms will blow the shop lights out of the water, too. The LEDs in the shop lights are bright but they're also spaced out probably an inch or so apart, plus the hoods on the shop lights dictate them being separated a few inches from each other. They will probably be okay for overwintering some plants, though. Their color temperature is in the range for vegetative growth.

The 3-panel Costco garage lights actually do a good job for high-light loving plants...Some capillaris and brevifolia that I've had beneath them have thoroughly enjoyed them. Also some filiformis and some no-name pitcher plants. The garage lights do have some spacing between the panels but for a foot-diameter circle of light they do pretty good.

The Viparspectra XS1000 is simply a quality light, very good.

And lastly the Yescoms have their own love/hate reputation. I'm looking forward to using them. My old cookie stand from the old Gulf Station has 4' long shelves. I'm trying to figure how many Yescoms to run per shelf (I bought a 4-pack)...pack them all on one shelf?....two or three per shelf and mount the fourth one elsewhere?
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!