FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Anzenix
Not sure if this might be more of a hybridization question... but I noticed on the flytrapstore, they have S. x oreophila and a S. x 'Leah Wilkersons', both highlighting the vigorous growth and large size of the plant. Can these exact ones be used to pass one those traits to other plants I have, or would I need a clone oreophila or Leah Wilkersons? I'm not too familiar with the process so forgive me if I'm talking gibberish or not using the correct terms, I know nothing :lol:
By Panman
I think you are asking if oreophila or Leah Wilkerson can pass along large growth to hybrids. Yes, these are more likely than others to produce large plants, but genetics is a crap shoot and it doesn't always work like you hope it will.
By Anzenix
Ahh.. so so you either strike gold or end up with a nice plant.. lol gotcha
By steve booth
Funnily enough, oreophila tend to produce large hybrids, so if you have any to cross with almost anything, you are likely to get some large offspring.

Cheers
Steve
By MikeB
One possible caveat: I have a 'Doreen's Colossus', a flava x oreophila hybrid that I got directly from Jerry Addington. This is supposed to be an enormous plant, but mine has never lived up to its name. It looks decent and certainly is vigorous, but I have Sarracenia flava's that tower over it every year.
Panman, Anzenix liked this
By Anzenix
steve booth wrote:Funnily enough, oreophila tend to produce large hybrids, so if you have any to cross with almost anything, you are likely to get some large offspring.

Cheers
Steve
Well that is the hope! Guess I'll just have to play around with it and find out, thank you.
Is this a steal?

That larger one is quite nice for that price, yes,[…]

Is This What To Look For?

I have decided since my first attempt worked out s[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome man!

I dont know if this is too much but can you also a[…]

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!