FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Hedonista
Planted some fruit punch poppy, zebrune shallot, lemon basil, sage, and snapdragon seeds today. Thought I had the end of the tray on the greenhouse shelf and let go underneath that end with the intention of sliding it onto the shelf. :(

Good thing February was fantastic! :D
Attachments:
IMG_4819.jpeg
IMG_4819.jpeg (5.02 MiB) Viewed 572 times
By Hedonista
It sure was a shock to my system to see the tray that was just in my hands upside down on the floor in the blink of an eye. I had more of most of the seeds, and I filled the rest of the cells with some other flower seeds, so it wasn’t the end of the world. I just needed to grump about it.
By ChefDean
If you have a space in your garden, just sweep up all that soil and spread it around about 1/2 inch deep. Those seeds can still germinate.
Once things start growing, it may look like a child's drawing of a flower garden with random blooms here and there, no rhyme or reason to the pattern, but the pollinators won't care.
Or go get one or two wide planters and do some Hügelkultur planting. Sticks and wood in the bottom third, mulch on top, and soil for the last four inches. Spread the fallen soil on top, and you have some endpiece pots to help attract pollinators.
Intheswamp, Hedonista liked this
By Intheswamp
<sigh> Things happen. Look at it as getting a small disaster out of the way for March and the rest of the month will now be better than February!!!! ;)

Btw, the image size was too big for my Internet speed for me to see it but did it look anything like this? :o
IMG_9721 (Custom).JPG
IMG_9721 (Custom).JPG (611.31 KiB) Viewed 504 times
By Intheswamp
Okay, I went back and clicked the image placeholder again and the image came up...I guess it was downloading or something while I was typing my message. :?: Anyhow, I'd say you had a bit more time invested in your sowing than I did...yours was a more precision sowing project and mine was a "shake and scatter" sowing. That was definitely an "OUCH!!!" moment for you!!! :( (Though the wording may have been a bit different. :mrgreen: )
Hedonista liked this
By Hedonista
ChefDean wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:28 am If you have a space in your garden, just sweep up all that soil and spread it around about 1/2 inch deep. Those seeds can still germinate.
Once things start growing, it may look like a child's drawing of a flower garden with random blooms here and there, no rhyme or reason to the pattern, but the pollinators won't care.
Or go get one or two wide planters and do some Hügelkultur planting. Sticks and wood in the bottom third, mulch on top, and soil for the last four inches. Spread the fallen soil on top, and you have some endpiece pots to help attract pollinators.
The ground is still frozen here, unfortunately (it was -8 Wednesday), so I haven’t prepped the garden yet this year. Your other idea would’ve worked, but I ended up sticking the soil back in the cells and planting more seeds. Hopefully some of the shallots and poppies in the first batch ended up close enough to the surface to germinate anyway, as I ran out of those. I do have shallots in other trays, they just haven’t been doing well, which is why I planted more. I also have another packet of the poppy seeds ordered (Pinetree had free shipping on Monday :D ), so I should still end up with some of each of those things.
ChefDean, Intheswamp liked this
By andynorth
-8 ? Where in the world are you at, Minnesota?

Ah, answered my own question and I was correct!!!

I left Montana for that reason. Too damn cold for me. Back in the day when cars had the gear shifter for automatics on the steering wheel (1976 Mercury Monarch) I literally broke mine off. Had to use vice grips to put the car in drive, reverse and park. "Never going back again". Just a little musical note there since it is Lindsey Buckingham's 74th Birthday.
Hedonista liked this
By wcrosman
I lived near bozeman in the early 1980’s. Got so cold the water main into the house froze. Had to hook up an arc welder between the street and the house to thaw it. Ugh.
andynorth wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:39 pm -8 ? Where in the world are you at, Minnesota?

Ah, answered my own question and I was correct!!!

I left Montana for that reason. Too damn cold for me. Back in the day when cars had the gear shifter for automatics on the steering wheel (1976 Mercury Monarch) I literally broke mine off. Had to use vice grips to put the car in drive, reverse and park. "Never going back again". Just a little musical note there since it is Lindsey Buckingham's 74th Birthday.
By andynorth
wcrosman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:41 pm I lived near bozeman in the early 1980’s. Got so cold the water main into the house froze. Had to hook up an arc welder between the street and the house to thaw it. Ugh.
andynorth wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:39 pm
Ah, college town. My niece was married at a cabin resort just outside of Bozeman. Beautiful country but would never live out there again.
By Intheswamp
wcrosman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:41 pm I lived near bozeman in the early 1980’s. Got so cold the water main into the house froze. Had to hook up an arc welder between the street and the house to thaw it. Ugh.
So, I suppose if I lived there I'd need to bury my water line a little deeper than six inches, eh? :?
By wcrosman
Intheswamp wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:06 pm
So, I suppose if I lived there I'd need to bury my water line a little deeper than six inches, eh? :?
Ours was 4’ down. 4’6” you would need at least.
andynorth liked this
By andynorth
wcrosman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:54 pm
Intheswamp wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:06 pm
wcrosman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:41 pm
Ours was 4’ down. 4’6” you would need at least.
Yep. And don't get me started on the septic tank my brother and I seemed to be constantly having to dig up due to step dad being a complete and utter idiot.

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!