FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Camden
Neps usually get the best of both parents. You would almost 100% be sure of having a great Veitchii. That’s the wonderful world of genetics for ya.
Sundews69 liked this
By Dragonslayer126
Sundews69 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:21 am
Dragonslayer126 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:33 pm Well there's no way to know because they are seed grown.
Right, you will get genetic diversity, but you can always expect a mix between both parent plant. If they both have stripes you are pretty much guaranteed stripes. if they both have a flared paristome, you can expect flared paristomes on the offspring.
Hmm... the one parent is bario and the other is pink, but the bario has a brown peristome and the pink form well is pink, it probably won't be brown. Right now mine is well, stripeless, but I don't know when they start making striped pitchers. The one parent is yellow with a brown peristome, and the other one is pink with stripes so hopefully it will have a flared peristome, because the bario has a flared peristome, and the pink has stripes. I found out that the seed grown larger ones are pink with stripes and look kinda flared so yeah they seem good.
Sundews69 liked this
By DragonsEye
Sundews69 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:21 am If they both have stripes you are pretty much guaranteed stripes. if they both have a flared paristome, you can expect flared paristomes on the offspring
Not always, though I would agree that the odds would be favorable. Much depends upon whether the traits in question are dominant or recessive, and whether the traits in question follow simple inheritance or a much more complex one involving things such as multiple alleles and incomplete dominance.
Dragonslayer126 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:17 am Hmm... the one parent is bario and the other is pink, but the bario has a brown peristome and the pink form well is pink, it probably won't be brown.
If choosing two for breeding (assuming you are able to get ones whose sex is known), you'd want to check before hand as to which traits are dominant. For example, if in that species, brown peristome s are dominant to pink, but pink is what you want, don't get a parent with brown peristomes.
Sundews69 liked this
By Bluefire
Dragonslayer126 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:17 am
Right now mine is well, stripeless, but I don't know when they start making striped pitchers.
[/quote]

I think that varies from plant to plant, I have a tiny one with faint stripes, 2 or less inches across, and a larger, maybe 4 inch one with barely any visible stripes. Then I have another 2 inch one that has no stripes. And the pitchers are still a bit green and dull. No noticeable color besides the spots on the inside, on the waxy part, and even then you have to try to see it. N. veitchii is a plant for the patient, you gotta wait to see anything but what you'll see is likely going to be very nice.
By Sundews69
Yeah, it varies. Carnivero's "Pink Candy Cane" didn't have stripes until the plant was 12 inches across. Some plants have stripes on their first few pitchers.
By Sundews69
Yeah, I've seen that on eBay a few times.
By Sundews69
Yup, just saw that too! :D

Maybe that'll be better than (k) x (CS x C)?
Camden liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!