FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By seth1161
i have peat moss sphagnum moss and peat moss and i was wondering if i am going to replant my vtf, what percentage and in what order do i put the soil stuff into the pot?????
By italo.americano
Hi seth1161,

When it comes to soil mixes for Dionaea, there are a wide variety of opinions. When repotting your plant, use a standard carnivorous plant soil mix of 1 part peat moss and 1 part perlite. Peat moss adds acidity and retains moisture, while perlite provides drainage. Some growers like to mix in silica sand for drainage which is fine also. I would highly recommend trying different soil mixes to see what works best in your growing area. Just make sure that peat moss is at least 50% of the growing medium.

I hope this helps and please ask, should you have any more questions.

Giovanni
By linton
I use sand / peat 50/50 - Remember too that perlite and vermiculite are a lot lighter than sand - if you have a lot of plants that you want to move about, or are keeping them on shelving that is not overly strong it may be best to not to use sand due to the increased weight of the mix.
By NZL
On the other hand, if your pots are outside and exposed to rain, it's better to use sand, because perlite is so light that it starts floating on your peat moss after heavy rains.
By Caleboy 123
Well if you're on a real tight budget like me, you can just use all sphagnum peat moss. It won't have as good drainage, but it can thrive in only sphagnum peat.
Another flower popped

Hey all, another flower popped last night from an […]

Hello, I would like to request SD-23-005 D. felix[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1651. I'll PM[…]

if nobodys said it yet ive found a pressure spraye[…]

1 year old cape!

I would really be interested in getting some see[…]

Lee’s Botanical Gardens has some drosera for[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not s[…]

Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!