FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By bombsboy
i did an experiment.

i floated some roots of my d.caspensis. i just cut the biggest ones, and put them into a container full of water, and placed the container in a east window.

they grew (each root produced 2 new plants :o ) in about one month (very fast if you ask me!)

too bad i cant get any pics, i gave them all to my freinds when they grew! :D
bombsboy liked this
By Adam
Thanks for that! When repot my forest of D. capensis next spring, I'll make sure to snip off a bunch of root cuttings. Do they have to be complete roots? Or can they be 1 cm segments? Could I also just lay them down on soil and cover with plastic wrap for humidity?
By linton
D. binata will multiply readily from both root cuttings and leaves placed in pure water - I have found distilled water to work the best as it is pretty much sterile, and because it lacks any organic additives or minerals it does not promote algal growth when left in bright light. Being that capensis is more of a "weed" in collections than binata and it is also very closely related, it should respond in a similar manner.

Simply take a healthy leaf from the plant that you want to propagate, trim the leaf stalk so that the leaf will fit into your container, pour in distilled water to cover, cover the container with a transparent lid or plastic film and put it in a bright warm spot and wait. In about a month you should have plenty of plants to share amongst your friends.
leaf cutting in distilled water - one month
leaf cutting in distilled water - one month
Drosera binata leaf cutting in water.JPG (469.39 KiB) Viewed 3875 times
closeup of plantlets developing on leaf
closeup of plantlets developing on leaf
Drosera binata leaf cutting.JPG (372.73 KiB) Viewed 3875 times
linton, linton, linton and 2 others liked this
By bombsboy
Well what I I'd was when I repoted he caspensis I literally pulled whole roots off. Then I got a plastic round container with a lid, filled it enough to cover the roots with water , and put those 3 roots in. All of them had 2 hits. After that, I had mved the root cuttings into a test tube and let them send send Kurt some new roots. The test tubes has water too. I did not add any chemichals or hormones. This whole process took about one month! Extreemely fast if you ask me!

should be fine, springtails make their way into co[…]

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

Hello from New England

Welcome

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

You should check Craig's List for plastic, food-g[…]

I notice that the tds readings of my tapwater can […]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

It's too soon to be able to provide a positive ID.[…]

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!