FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By darinmayhew
I just got a Venus fly trap today and I just wanted some tips.

What kind of soil can I plant them in? I know no kinds of potting soil and I’ve heard peat moss/peralite mixture but what other kinds are okay? Would coco coir and sand mixed be okay or should there be something different. (Preferably whatever is cheapest without sacrificing the health of the plant)

I know I should be watering with distilled water and I will be getting some but it won’t be in time for the first watering (since that’s in a few days) so would it be okay to water them with filtered water and if so, how long can they be watered with that.

How often should I be feeding them if I use rehydrated freeze dried mealworms?

That’s all the questions I have and I would appreciate any answers or additional tips you have.
By ChefDean
darinmayhew wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:46 amWhat kind of soil can I plant them in? I know no kinds of potting soil and I’ve heard peat moss/peralite mixture but what other kinds are okay? Would coco coir and sand mixed be okay or should there be something different. (Preferably whatever is cheapest without sacrificing the health of the plant)
Peat/perlite is generally the cheapest and safest. Coir does work, but it typically has too much salt in it for the likes of carnivorous plants. Depending on where/how our bought it, it may be fine as is for a year or two. If bought potted from a reputable carnivorous plant seller, it's likely fine.
darinmayhew wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:46 amI know I should be watering with distilled water and I will be getting some but it won’t be in time for the first watering (since that’s in a few days) so would it be okay to water them with filtered water and if so, how long can they be watered with that.
Any water is better than no water, just make sure it for as short of a time as possible, and flush with distilled or rain water as soon as possible.
However, two things. What is the TDS of your tap water? If you don't know, maybe invest in an inexpensive TDS meter and get a water report from your water company (oftentimes available online). Depending on your TDS and mineral content, it's possible that you may be able to just use tap water.
Secondly, jugs of distilled water are readily available at almost every supermarket, not many reasons why you couldn't have some today.
darinmayhew wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:46 amHow often should I be feeding them if I use rehydrated freeze dried mealworms?
As long as they're in sufficient light (outside in direct, unfiltered sunlight) they'll make all the food they need. Bonus, outside is where bugs live, and the plant will catch supplemental nutrients themselves.
By optique
This is the video i went by years ago. its long 45m but will keep you on the correct path.

By Intheswamp
Welcome and congratulations on your new flytrap!

Grow mix…50:50 ratio of:
Peat moss:perlite
Peat moss:coarse sand
Long fibered sphagnum moss:perlite
Long fibered sphagnum moss:coarse sand
100% long fibered sphagnum moss
…there’s other more complex mixes.

The LFSM would probably be the most earth friendly in regards to the moss. Coconut coir is far to risky with its possibly very high salt content, especially for someone just trying to grow flytraps.

If you use sand be sure to use silica/quartz sand. Coarse sand. Anything with soft minerals in it will leach minerals into your growing medium, making your plant sick or outright killing it. So no limestone or the like. You can test the sand by putting some of it in a glass or jar and adding some white vinegar…watch for fizzing/bubbling. Wait another 30 minutes and look again. If there’s no fizzing it should be safe to use. YMMV :)

Water. If it rains put some buckets out to catch rainwater. Some of the best stuff. For one or two flytraps a gallon will last a long time. Distilled water comes in gallon jugs…save the jug and store rainwater in it. Rainwater is acidic, which carnivorous plants like. The purest water is distilled but it’s pH is neutral, which isn’t a bad thing…just not as good as rainwater, IMHO. ;) I usually filter my rain water through an old towel or t-shirt to get any debris out before filling the jug with it…it seems to store better and not turn green as quickly if I filter it. I love rainwater. :D

Keep your flytrap in 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep water. Let the water tray/saucer go dry for a day or so between watering. Depth really depends on pot height…shallow pot (4”) shallow water…deep pot (6”) deeper water. ..roughly. ;)

Filtered water is very iffy. Unless you are using a Zerowater filter then the TDS (mineral content) will only drop a small amount. My tap water’s TDS level hits in the 325ppm range and my Pure filter only lowers it 50 or 60ppm. The recommended level is less than 50ppm. Btw, I’ve found that Aquafina bottled water has a low TDS, at least the bottles that I’ve tested here in south Alabama do. Dasani has high TDS…not good. If a label says “minerals added” run fast from it if intended use is for carnivorous plants.

Many times you can find your areas water quality report online to give you an idea about whether your water might be okay for flytraps. Don’t forget to let the water sit uncovered over night to get rid of chlorine…if you decide to use it. A TDS meter is highly recommended. Here is the meter I have: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H578WWT?re ... b_ap_share

Feeding… Like Chef said, it ain’t necessary. But, if you do feed, only feed a trap a piece of food that is 1/3 the size of the trap. Too big and the trap will probably die. I would feed one trap on the plant every 2-3 weeks. Remember that a flytrap’s trap can only close and open maybe a half dozen times, maybe less, before it stops working.

Pots…use only plastic or resin ones. No metal, no ceramic, no terracotta. All can leach bad things into the growing medium.

Light…flytraps require lots and los of light. Windowsills usually are not good enough. A gradual introduction to full sun is best. Otherwise, 16 hours a day beneath a good grow light.

Outdoors by far the best place to grow flytraps.

What is your general location? Nearest big city is good enough. It helps folks to know the climate that your growing in. I’m south of Montgomery Alabama, so hot muggy summers and sometimes cold winters down into the mid 20F’s occasionally.

The biggest thing to do is enjoy your journey learning about the plants. Have fun!!! :)
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!