FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By RhenJ
Need help!!🥺
My venus fly trap has black spots with white mold like on top of it, it spreads and damages the leaves😭

Is it okay to spray disolved sulfur powder on venus fly trap as a fungicide?
By Intheswamp
A picture would definitely help.

Without a picture I'd guess that with a white "fungus" I would guess that one or all of these might be the problem:
* Growing medium is kept too wet. (Flytraps only want to be moist/damp, not wet)
* Plant may be inside a terrarium or otherwise in a closed-in space. (Fresh air rules!)
* The temperature is too low. (I don't think this is the case, though, fungus likes it warm)
* Plant/soil isn't getting enough light. (4+ hours of full sun is minimum, window sills are bad)

Best wishes and welcome to the forum! You might want to check the seed bank out. The cost of seeds is two stamps and two envelopes. Instructions are at the bottom of the inventory list which can be found here: Seed Bank Inventory List
By Panman
What is that gravel that you have in there? To me it looks like chemical burn which could be caused by the gravel leaching minerals into the soil.

Let's take a step back.
1. What size pot is it in?
2. What kind of soil is it planted in?
3. What kind of water are you using?
4. Does the plant sit in a tray of water?
5. How much light does it get?
6. How long have you had the plant?
7. How long has it been in its current condition?
By RhenJ
I used silica granules as top dressing, 7"deep 5"wide pot, soil mixture of 1peat moss:2 perlite.
I use tap water with 5-9ppm tds. It does not sit on water tray, I water it from the tray but I prefer to let the tray dry before watering again.
It was bought 5 weeks ago, it was perfectly healthy in it's first 4 weeks with me.
I put it under grow light for 16 hours, from 3a.m.-7p.m.
By ChefDean
To me, it looks like something is using it as a chew toy. Most chemical or mineral evidence is very well seen by the cilia browning and blackening, which yours is not. It still could be, I'm just saying that you should look elsewhere too. I'd vinegar test those granules, as well as soak some in water for a week, testing the water TDS before and after.
The way the edges are irregular and blackening only where there is damage, my two cents would be to look for a critter while testing the granules.
RhenJ liked this
Where is the cheapest place to buy pots

Hi all! I just ran out of large pots for my sarra[…]

tommyr's grow list

pm'ed ya!

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

just pm'ed you!

Catching the Nep fever

Surprisingly, I have never really put effort into […]

Hello from the California!

Wow! this forum has an amazing set up for seeds! I[…]

April 2024 Photo Contest - Stuck on You

Much thanks to Optique and what an incredible, hea[…]

Liberation from Lowe’s

Holy moly! Wait that division just happens natural[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!