FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
Brad,

So that mini bog, do you just leave it outside year-round? Do you apart from watering in summer, do you give protection for them in winter, or you put them somewhere or cover them?

Thank you! :)
By BradR
jht-union wrote:Brad,
So that mini bog, do you just leave it outside year-round? Do you apart from watering in summer, do you give protection for them in winter, or you put them somewhere or cover them?
Yes, that planter stays outside all year round. I think it's been going 4 or 5 years. There is no need to give them winter protection here, we actually have warmer winters than the wild plants in North Carolina. We usually we don't get sub freezing temps. My latitude is actually the exact same latitude (N 34 degrees) as the Wilmington, NC area where Flytraps are native, so my plants have the exact same yearly photoperiod as the wild ones. Strangely enough, if you look at the latitude of Albany, Western Australia where Cephalotus is native to, they are exactly 34 degrees south of the equator. Same photoperiod as the wild Flytraps in N.C. and me. Strange coincidence.

Brad
BradR, BradR liked this
By Steve_D
BradR wrote:Strangely enough, if you look at the latitude of Albany, Western Australia where Cephalotus is native to, they are exactly 34 degrees south of the equator. Same photoperiod as the wild Flytraps in N.C. and me. Strange coincidence.
That's a very interesting observation!
By xr280xr
That's awesome! Those are some happy plants.
By xr280xr
So your watering system, do you top water and use the vertical tube as window to see how high the soil is saturated or do you water through the tube as someone else suggested? It sounded like you were saying you leave about the bottom six inches of soil completely saturated for a day then drain? How often were you doing that in the hottest weeks of the summer?
By Dubstep13
yea im curious too cus its been damn hot this week in cali! im coastal and its still hot 90s coast so inland 100s
By luxiloid
Really great looking VFTs and pot!!
Amazing!
By Arathi
What a great pot, and beautiful plants. Really loving the orange on them.
By ziko88
I know it's an old thread but I would like to see this pot during domination please :)

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!