FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss carnivorous plant books here

Moderator: Matt

By parker679
I know by now this is a pretty well known book but I just wanted to rep it some more.

I just received the revised edition, The Savage Garden, Revised: Cultivating Carnivorous Plants by Peter D'Amato, as a birthday gift. For a while I held off on buying books about carnivorous plants since I figured I could find any info I needed online and I'd rather spend the money on more plants.

The issue with relying solely on the internet for your information is you really need to do your due diligence in making sure the information you're getting is accurate. Sometimes the responses you get are just rehashed misinformation that the person only read online themselves a few days ago. Or you get a reply from someone who really only has experience in their limited range of growing conditions telling you what is and is not correct.

With a book, especially this revised edition, you're getting information from someone with years and years of CP growing experience.

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about CP's, at least those genre I grow myself. But even still I find myself learning new things from this book. Plus it's nice to have a quick reference at hand when you need it.

I know there are a lot of great books out there and having not read any of them I'm not saying this one is any better or any worse. But if you're looking for a good book on carnivorous plants I wouldn't hesitate to pick this one up. Since the revised edition just came out a few months ago you can be sure the information is accurate.

I'm sure you can find it for sale a lot of places, but here it is on Amazon.

Also, for those that may not know, Peter D'Amato is the owner of California Carnivores
parker679, parker679 liked this
By Snap Traps
It certainly is a good read :D ; I bought the kindle edition myself. Another good book about cps is the Growing Carnivorous Plants book by Barry Rice.
By parker679
Snap Traps wrote:It certainly is a good read :D ; I bought the kindle edition myself. Another good book about cps is the Growing Carnivorous Plants book by Barry Rice.
That'll probably be one of the next books I get. If nothing else than to support him since sarracenia.com was the first place I came across online when I got into the hobby and is where I first started learning everything about CP's.

It's funny because the way he emphasizes that you shouldn't repot your VFT if you're new to the hobby is so extreme that I can always tell when a new forum member here has read his FAQ. :lol:
By bananaman
I got a signed copy of this book. My parents were kind enough to preorder it for my birthday...
I really like this book, and I think it is better than the original edition (it is certainly in better shape!)

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!