FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By NightRaider
Ordered: 7/13
Shipped: 7/19
Received: 7/22

Took a shot on a new store that just recently opened and it ended up being an absolutely fantastic experience all-around, and I know I'll likely be placing more orders in the very near future. Plants themselves might not be absolutely perfect condition, but still a solid 9/10 with any difference far more than just made up for in pricing. I had to do a double take when I saw a decent-sized juvenile H. sarracenioides listed for $40 (usually $100+ for people that are unfamiliar), and I picked up an adult H. exappendiculata (Apacapa) for even less than that and a juvenile uncommon form of H. parva for about as much as most places sell the ubiquitous juvenile BE clone H. minor.
Interestingly, they shipped via UPS ground but the price was about the same as medium flat-rate Priority. However, the actual package was far larger than a medium USPS box which allowed for the metric ton of padding that was used. The plants were perfectly secure and not a speck of soil was out of place. I usually just unwrap the tape on most orders, but after the first plant I had to give up and just carefully cut away at it because of how much tape was used - definitely not a complaint though. The only minor nitpick was that 2 of the 3 pots ended up slightly cracked or bent in 1 or 2 places, but it's probably unavoidable when shipping in cups. Speaking of the cups, this is a great example of them taking every complaint I had with JCP in my last post in this subforum and executing it to perfection. The cups were not only sturdier than the red solo cups used there, and not only were ones used both top and bottom, but 2 were used on each side for extra sturdiness for a total of 4 cups per plant. I could but I'm not even going to go into this further, just see for yourself in the pictures and trust me that these things were locked down tighter than Fort Knox.
Concluding thoughts: one final really nice thing was the tags were the best I've ever seen. I did end up trimming them a bit shorter to not stick so far up out of the pots though. Also, some soil was expectedly removed around the top to make room for padding. I ended up just slip potting into some of my own pots the same size, and making up the difference with a layer of lfs on the bottom to cover the drain holes (personal habit) and a thin layer of pure perlite at the top. Anyway to summarize: absolutely solid plants, unheard of pricing - basically on par with just straight up importing from Wistuba, world-class packaging and shipping, and nailed all the little things so well that it was hard to even find anything to nitpick. Blew my expectations out of the water, along with every single nursery and nearly every individual purchase I've made to date as well.
Attachments:
1-THDBox-1.jpg
1-THDBox-1.jpg (623.64 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
2-THDBox-2.jpg
2-THDBox-2.jpg (641.55 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
3-THDStages.jpg
3-THDStages.jpg (610.79 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
4-THDSingle.jpg
4-THDSingle.jpg (497.83 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
5-THDCupsRemoved.jpg
5-THDCupsRemoved.jpg (499.36 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
6-THDTapeRemoved.jpg
6-THDTapeRemoved.jpg (534.33 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
7-THDSingleUnpacked.jpg
7-THDSingleUnpacked.jpg (609.9 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
8-THDSoil.jpg
8-THDSoil.jpg (540.43 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
9-THDRepotted.jpg
9-THDRepotted.jpg (691.3 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
Bluefire, Camden liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!