FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By bombsboy
so i just got a 10 gal. fish tank, added a peat moss and perlite mixture, added a few plants and put them in an east window.
is this a good or bad idea? :?
also i have a teeny bit of live spagnum moss. :D if i just put that in the terrarium, will it spread all over the terrarium? if yes, then how long will it take?

thanks in advanced! :P

by the way, when i put my sundews in, they looked terrible :x

i put in 2 purple pitcher plants, 3 cape sundews (caspensis), and 2 venus fly traps, and like 10 small venus fly traps (seedlings)

i will try to get a picture as soon as possible! :mrgreen:
By Matt
Hello and welcome to FlytrapCare!
bombsboy wrote:is this a good or bad idea? :?
What part of the idea? :) The terrarium itself isn't a good idea for the species you listed. They'll be easier to grow outside of the terrarium. Inside the terrarium, you'll likely have problems with mold. And for the pitcher plants and Venus fly traps, you'll have to figure out how to provide dormancy. Living where you do, it's going to be easiest to grow the plants outside all year long.
bombsboy wrote:also i have a teeny bit of live spagnum moss. :D if i just put that in the terrarium, will it spread all over the terrarium? if yes, then how long will it take?
Live sphagnum doesn't grow all that quickly. I can't really say how long it will take for it to cover a 10 gallon terrarium. I will say that it would likely take a "very" long time.
bombsboy wrote:i will try to get a picture as soon as possible! :mrgreen:
I look forward to seeing photos of your plants!

So I got myself two different N. ventricosa 'Porce[…]

Updated pictures I took today, it's been ~6-7 mont[…]

I have no clue where these plants keep going!

New donation

Also, thank you Panman for donating envelopes. I'd[…]

I got both of these from Amazon. They work well. […]

Will S. rubra var. rubra stay within that size r[…]

I'm aware that VFTs secrete chitinase to "sof[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!