FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By elaineo
Got quite a bit of rain and my water trays are full of tadpole eggs, again. Last year I tried to transfer tadpoles into clean containers, but they died almost as soon as I moved them. So I set up new trays and moved the plants instead.

I don't want to move all my plants again! What should I do?

(Are tree frogs attracted to tannins from the peat moss? I left several buckets outside to catch rainwater, but they never lay eggs in the buckets)
By Panman
I think that they are more attracted to the micro flora and fauna that the tadpoles feed on. They probably died in the clean water due to lack of food.
elaineo, andynorth liked this
By elaineo
ChefDean wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:15 pm Feed the eggs to your plants.
Is that murder? That sounds like murder :o Where does this rank on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is, like, harvesting omelettes out of a Bald Eagle's freshly laid nest?
By elaineo
Panman wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:47 am I think that they are more attracted to the micro flora and fauna that the tadpoles feed on. They probably died in the clean water due to lack of food.
the tadpoles flipped over and died literally within the hour. They're like drosophyllums, they are sensitive to being transplanted.
By ChefDean
elaineo wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:54 am
ChefDean wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:15 pm Feed the eggs to your plants.
Is that murder? That sounds like murder :o Where does this rank on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is, like, harvesting omelettes out of a Bald Eagle's freshly laid nest?
You're talking to a Chef, someone who dips chicken into an egg wash. That means the directions for my pan seared, breaded chicken breast include "submerge the carcass of the mother in the scrambled remains of the unborn." I'm not worried about a few frog eggs.
So, 1.739 on my Savagery Scale.
elaineo, MikeB liked this
By elaineo
ChefDean wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:29 am You're talking to a Chef, someone who dips chicken into an egg wash. That means the directions for my pan seared, breaded chicken breast include "submerge the carcass of the mother in the scrambled remains of the unborn." I'm not worried about a few frog eggs.
So, 1.739 on my Savagery Scale.
Incidentally, that dish was the inspiration for Paul Simon's "Mother and Child Reunion".

I don't know if I can do it, man. Frog eggs are clear, I can see the baby tadpoles kicking around in there. It's like a million little eye balls watching me :?
By Intheswamp
elaineo wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:57 am the tadpoles flipped over and died literally within the hour. They're like drosophyllums, they are sensitive to being transplanted.
Keep the tadpoles in the dirty water and give the plants fresh, clean water.
By elaineo
Intheswamp wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:01 am Keep the tadpoles in the dirty water and give the plants fresh, clean water.
yeh... good thing i only use dollar store dishpans for my water trays. can you imagine if the tadpoles set up camp in expensive 1020 trays?? this is why i can't have nice things!!!!! 😭😭😭😭😭
By Intheswamp
Yeah, but you might could just gently pour water and tadpoles into another container...still, though, you lose the grazing that had formed on the surfaces of the "dirty" trays. Ya just can't win against those tadpoles, sneaky critters that use their eyeballs to guilt people into letting them hatch and grow into frogs, then the next season the frogs make even more frogs. Eventually all of California will become"froggy"...and people will one day say something like, "Hey, remember "Frog Lady Elaineo"?...as they fly over looking down on the teeming masses of frogs...frogs...frogs. :mrgreen:
elaineo liked this
By elaineo
Alright, I spent the weekend digging through dumpsters and found a biggie big big aquarium. it's 4' long, probably like 75 gallons. i haven't tested to see if it holds water, but as long as the bottom 6" is watertight I think we're good.

I had originally planned to move plants + water + eggs all into the tank. But now I wonder if some other plants might be better suited for a frog tank. MOAR PLANTS! -- the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems :roll:
MikeB, Intheswamp, andynorth liked this
By Intheswamp
Seal Team 6 can't help you now, elaineo, the frogs have full control now! :lol:
elaineo, andynorth liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!