FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By sundewman
Ah, thanks manzano
Well, a plant that size should definitely be able to curl up around food. A really have no idea why that is, but let's make up a reason, and assume that your plant is still acclimating to the new conditions. lol ;) I've never had that happen before though (granted I grew most of mine from seed).
I guess just give it a few more weeks and then see what happens.
By Doomsday
OMG i fed it gain and in about 17 hours the leaf curled over itmaking a closed oval shape!!! the tentacles were slow to act but started in an hor from feeding. IM HAPPY!!!

also sundewman... When can i take a root cutting. I REALY REALLY want more red ones even to trade before this summer. Will it harm my plant if i take it out riht now and cut an inch or two of two roots?
By sundewman
congrats on the curling. Honesly i was extremely confused as to why that wasn't working for you....

Well, I'm not completely sure how much light your Cape is getting right now, but normally root cuttings won't harm the plant at all if it is in a bright location and is getting fed, as you're doing. I grow mine under supplemental light indoors most of the time, and I can honestly cut off the entire root and leave a milimeter of root on the main plant and it won't even phase it. Keep in mind that they are getting a pretty nice amount of light:

It's just that if you plan to grow it next to a dim windowsill with not much additional light (unless it is a very bright windowsill (which I do not have) then it may decline a bit, and a root cutting wouldn't do too well. However, some growers have great success with windowsill growing. Normally, my test for lighting is that if you stop feeding your sundew and wait 3 weeks, if the color starts coming back and the tentacles and leaves become red, then you know you have enough light. But, if you've stopped feeding them for 3 weeks and the tentacles continue to get brighter and brighter, then you may want to add light or grow them outdoors.
A key for feeding is that it speeds up growth, which makes the leaves lose their red pigmentation until the light is able to catch back up with the growth.
That Capensis red above hadn't been fed for 1.5 months, so it was able to finally turn completely red under my lights.
By Doomsday
Well mine is green. But it is in a south facing window sill that gets light throughout the whole day. It does seem to be growig pretty well. Do you think it would hurt it if I snipped of like an inch of root. I would have to take it out of the pot find a root snip a piece and put it back in the pot on the sill
By sundewman
Well, I'm sure that would be fine. You may want to take about 1.5 inches so you don't have to baby the new plant so much.
Green is not necessarily a bad thing, as I said before- feeding it will make it green, but this is only because it is growing faster. Now on the other hand, if you don't feed it and it turns greener and greener then that is a signal that the plant is not getting enough light.
By Doomsday
Alright cool.. I did just get it from matt about 15 days ago though so i dont think it is unhealthy. But im going to make a root cutting right not and put in a cup (im slicing off the top so there is only the bottom. Im gonna lay it in there with some of the soil from the other main plant!!!!!now the challenge is doing it without messing up my 1 pic per minute time lapse. BTW ur sundews are HOTT!! Mad dewy
By sundewman
Sounds good. Best of luck with not messing up the time lapse! That might be a bit tricky.
Thanks for the compliments :)
Just out of curiosity, what type of camera are you using for the time lapse? I've always considered getting one but they seem to be out of my price range.
By Doomsday
Wel i stopped the time lapse as i didnt like the backdrop.... And im not gona take the cutting after all. You see they are doing some minor sanding in my house and despite being in a closed room, the sundew leaves got a bit dusty. Both the one that is curled and the other nice new one are ompletely dry now. I havent aterd in in like a week. Should i be watering it more?? Also will the leaves dew up again???

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE~~ There are now 5-6 baby leaves coming up from the crown....FAST
SO i am really happy. Plus, im going to repot it i thin cuz the media is getting compact like a rock so im gonna take it out tonight, seperate it a bit so the roots can breath without getting smashed, and then repot it and sit it in a dish with 1/2" of distilled water.
By 95slvrZ28
It sounds like you may want to water a bit more, although its hard to say without observing the plants for a little longer. I typically water my drosera twice a week. The dust in the air probably isn't helping them either. The leaves that dried may start to produce dew again, but in my experience it's never quite the same as when they've had it on them from the beginning.
By Doomsday
The dust is probably what dried them out right??/ Cuz by the time the next 5 leaves come open, i wil be able to put it outside maybe or open the window to get right of the dust. They temps are still too low in nyc
By Doomsday
Oh and by the way..... I used my MacBook laptop with built in iSight Camera to do the time lapse usnig the FREE program Gawker. It is really sweet, i found it while looking for a camera with timelpse.. You can set it to take pics every so often (in seconds from 1 sec and up) and then chNge the quality and the fps up to as many as needed. My fps is 34fps but i even succesfully tried 60 !!!
By Shane
If kikt didn't digest thye Crick then why was it dried :roll: :|
Sundew in forest

Why D. capillaris? D. brevifolia is the sundew sp[…]

Oh, that is a solid size. Wonder what it'll look l[…]

Succulents Question

Hello beautiful people! I have a quick question. O[…]

Welp I lost the original post. :shock: Anyhoo I […]

I said the cuttings some of them just kind of die.[…]

I recieved my seeds, yay! Thank you, ChefDean Sen[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

Oo, very nice. That right one is particularly nice[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!