FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By matthewsmith56
I was just wondering what this stuff was I found little algae looking things growing out of my soil but what is even weirder is the green slime I found next to it dose anybody know what this stuff is

go to the center of the pic and look a little left and you will see a little ball of slime
Attachments:
102820[1].jpg
102820[1].jpg (116.26 KiB) Viewed 4823 times
By ModeratelyExcessive
A lot of water + not enough air circulation will promote algae growth in your soil. Is your plant inside or outside? If inside, you can put a small fan near the plant to move the air around, just make sure the soil doesn't too dry. If it's on a windowsill you can try keeping the window open, or just move it outside.

I think I read somewhere algae is also more prone to grow if you water from the top. Try watering from the bottom in a tray instead.
By sundewman
yea, that stuff that's "blooming" right now is moss, but your media does have a lot of algae on it (since it is all green on the surface).
It will not hurt your plant, but the moss can sort of take over after a while. Since the plant is established, though, it won't be a problem for you at all. It's only on baby plants that I'd be concerned about...

If you want to prevent algae growth in the future, then you can rinse your peat and sand before using it next time, and you likely will see a sharp decline in algae growth. Check out here for more info: http://www.growsundews.com/rinsing_peat ... lants.html

You can visit this website for suggestions about p[…]

Rain

Btw, if you have somewhere to put it, a 32-gallon […]

Too bad you moved away, you could come get these t[…]

Sundew in forest

Why D. capillaris? D. brevifolia is the sundew sp[…]

Oh, that is a solid size. Wonder what it'll look l[…]

Succulents Question

Hello beautiful people! I have a quick question. O[…]

Welp I lost the original post. :shock: Anyhoo I […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!