FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Red_and_Gr33n
Hello again. One question. If I wanted to grow a VFT with its roots sitting in water (aerated or not) only, Are there any suitable additives that would allow it to grow and thrive without feeding it?
By Fishkeeper
I don't think there's any liquid you can pot a Venus flytrap in that will allow you to not feed it. They get nearly all their nutrients for growing from the bugs they eat, and trying to substitute nutrients in the media instead will simply kill the plant. The best you're likely to manage is "alive".

You could try foliar feeding, but I'm not sure that's any easier than feeding the traps normally.
By elaineo
Flytraps can take nutrients from the media; the problem is anaerobic bacteria will kill the plants faster than they can absorb the nutrients. Flytraps have not adapted to anaerobic conditions the way bog plants have.

A couple ideas I had when building hydroponic setups:

- UV-C light filter. This is often used in aquariums to sanitize the water without replacing it.
- Very cold water. Place frozen water bottles in the media and replace as needed.

But flytraps are small plants. It's cheaper/easier grow them in tissue culture than hydroponics.
Red_and_Gr33n liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!