FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By quatchi
Here are a few of my pings at the moment.

P corsica hibernaculum

P. longifolia ssp causensis that woke up a little too early, and then the birds got them :evil:

P. longifolia under lights

P. corsica under lights, with a teeny P. vulgaris. D. rotundifolia and D. something as well

P. gigantea pullings a la J. Clemens

P. laueana and P. gigantea pullings

P. laueana seed pod

And laueana flowers

Hope you liked them!
By victor
Your plants look awesome!
victor liked this
By quatchi
Doomsday,

The cup method is how I did the pullings originally, and then put them on peat. With the cup, it takes time, but it's a surefire way to do them. Just pull them with a bit of the rhizome (or the white part), put in the cup, and that's it. No extra work required. Give it a couple months, and you'll have some great plants starting. I would try it again, but whatever works for you is what you should go with.

Mauro
By jht-union
quatchi wrote:Doomsday,

The cup method is how I did the pullings originally, and then put them on peat. With the cup, it takes time, but it's a surefire way to do them. Just pull them with a bit of the rhizome (or the white part), put in the cup, and that's it. No extra work required. Give it a couple months, and you'll have some great plants starting. I would try it again, but whatever works for you is what you should go with.

Mauro
I have never took a pinguicula pulling before, but after reading this, i just took two pullings of my P.moctezumae, and i just put them in wet peat, just to see what happens! :)
By quatchi
Hahaha, thanks for the comments!

jht-union, don't keep them too wet! :P Basically, grow the pullings like you would grow your adult ping. They should do really well! I put some pullings on vermiculite earlier this summer, and added a drop or two of water every few days to keep the humidity high, and it worked like a charm. Now I'm looking at an additional 5 laueana's. These plants propagate so easily through their dormant, non carnivorous leaves (or for homophyllous species, like P. gigantea, any leaves with some of the white rhizome).
quatchi liked this
By jht-union
Gardenub- That looks like sand filter sand, maybe perlite on the bottom and a mix of vermiculate with silica on top, not sure thought.
quatchi- do you grow them in all silica, or is there peat at the bottom? What's the mixture?

Thanks! :)
By quatchi
GardenNub wrote:Looks nice! What medium is that you use in the second pic?
jht-union wrote:Gardenub- That looks like sand filter sand, maybe perlite on the bottom and a mix of vermiculate with silica on top, not sure thought.
quatchi- do you grow them in all silica, or is there peat at the bottom? What's the mixture?

Thanks! :)

Hey guys, believe it or not, some pings grow right in limestone! In the second photo you're looking at P. longifolia ssp causensis. I'm growing this is a medium composed mainly of lime, perlite, vermiculite, and silica sand in roughly the following percentages; 30%, 30%, 20%, 20% respectively. I got it off the World of Pinguicula website by Eric Partrat (this site appears to be inactive now :( ). Besides some European species, a lot of mexican pings actually grow well in a calcareous media, so I am going to try it with my P. laueana this season. The key to keep in mind with media for pings is it needs to drain well. Perlite, pumice, and sand all help with drainage, and I'll use them to varying degrees with the main component being either peat or crushed limestone.

Elionwyr requests drosera intermedia. Ty!

Intheswamp requests the pack of D. capensis "[…]

New donation

I'd like to thank thepitchergrower for his latest […]

1633 expired and canceled

This request has expired and been canceled, seeds […]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

NASC Auction

Moderators please remove if not allowed. . Terraf[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!