FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Anzenix
So I have some incoming bare roots and was suggested by the grower to slightly underpot them for the first season... weirdly enough no one in my area is selling any of the small plastic containers.. should I try to find alternatives or just use a larger sized pot?

On another note.. were self watering containers not a good idea for Sarrs?
By optique
sarrs like deep pots and don't mine sitting in a shallow water trey. My big mother plants are in 3 gallon pots and i sell them in 5inch pots. Deep root runs make larger plants.
By Anzenix
How about using clay pots/terra cota, were those a no go as well?
By Anzenix
steve booth wrote:Plastic pots about a litre are perfect, assuming your bare rooted plants are 'normal' size, dont use terracotta pots.
Cheers
Steve
They were listed as small, small-med and a large. It's probably the season but I can't for the life me find any in my area. I could order some online but they will get here way after the bare roots do. I had a couple but I guess someone in my household disposed of them without asking me... anything I can do in the meantime? I have everything ready except for a container for them. Not sure how to go about it.
By MikeB
Anzenix wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:13 am How about using clay pots/terra cota, were those a no go as well?
Only if they're glazed (inside and out), or if you give the interior and exterior a good coating (or two) of pot sealer. Otherwise, the acidic soil and water will leach minerals out of the clay.
By steve booth
Anzenix wrote:
steve booth wrote:Plastic pots about a litre are perfect, assuming your bare rooted plants are 'normal' size, dont use terracotta pots.
Cheers
Steve
They were listed as small, small-med and a large. It's probably the season but I can't for the life me find any in my area. I could order some online but they will get here way after the bare roots do. I had a couple but I guess someone in my household disposed of them without asking me... anything I can do in the meantime? I have everything ready except for a container for them. Not sure how to go about it.
No problem, as they will probably be dormant, or going dormant, they won't be doing a great deal. I have kept them for a couple of weeks, just with their roots in rainwater, but if you dont fancy that, then buy a bottle of water or similar, (I suggest water as the larger bottles are square) cut the top off and make a pot out of that. As they are clear they do go green once the sun shines in spring, but you can paint the outside if you want or wrap it in something, or put in a proper pot.

Cheers
Steve
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!