FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By lemonlily
But won't the mineral build up even more if you wait til next year?
By Adam
not if it's top watered to the point of over flowing the catch tray.
By Dystopia
@ Adam - So does that mean that the current traps have already been roasted and won't be recovering? D:
OTL I've tried telling them that. They go on about this big rant about how they don't go around buying special water for people so why should they for a plant and so on and so forth.
By lemonlily
I don't get it. Doesn't the minerals get filtered through the soil?
By Adam
Most likely the traps are toast if you are already seeing discolouration. Don't worry though, this is the start of the growing season. By next month, there will be new ones.

About the parents:

It's a hobby - plain and simple. If you were making model airplanes, it would cost 100X as much in 1 year.
By Dystopia
@ Adam - Well, there are a few that are still a nice green color. There's also a trap that hasn't opened yet. What should I do to take care of those? I'm planning to stick them outside when it gets a little later in the afternoon, when the sun isn't a hot and bright.
Oh, and there are also tiny little traps that I can see. Itty bitty ones. Is that normal? Will they get bigger?

EDIT:

And I mean 'hasn't opened yet' as in it hasn't matured yet. Sorry for the confusion. xD;
By lemonlily
You can take care of them as you would, to the bigger plant, or traps. It is one plant, right? It will get bigger and will turn as big as the other traps.
By Adam
They should not burn if they are still developing. I found that the leaves that I burn are the ones that are already grown all the way.
By Nick
Dystopia wrote:@ Adam - So does that mean that the current traps have already been roasted and won't be recovering? D:
OTL I've tried telling them that. They go on about this big rant about how they don't go around buying special water for people so why should they for a plant and so on and so forth.
If that is the case, just go with them the next time they go to the grocery store with a dollar in your pocket. When they are buying the normal groceries, just go get your own distilled water.
By Adam
I heard the melted ice from the walls of the freezer in your kitchen works well. I'd have to test the PPM of any dissolved solids.

When your parents aren't looking, open the freezer and breathe in it a few times to build the frost up again :D
By Dystopia
Alright. So I've been taking my Venus Flytrap out when the sun got cooler, but have otherwise kept it inside. But I've noticed that the stem of one of the traps is beginning to turn back. Just the stem, not the trap. ._. Is that normal? Should I snip it off??

@ Nick - xD! That's an idea.

@ Adam - *snorts* xD; Should I just take a fork and attack the fridge, then?
By Matt
Dystopia wrote:But I've noticed that the stem of one of the traps is beginning to turn back.
That could be sunburn. If your plant wasn't receiving much light before and you stuck it in bright direct sunlight it will burn. Any new growth that it puts out will be hardened to the sun though. Considering its the beginning of the growing season, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
By Adam
Matt's right. That's how mine sunburnt last year. I even had that happen under strong artificial light when I brought in a light-starved death-cube plant one winter.

As for the water, the freezer frost is probably better than tap water. But eventually you will collect rain water or buy distilled water.
By Dystopia
8D Alright, thank you guys. Thought it got something worse on top of the sunburn. OTL

Anyways, just what part of the freezer has the frost on it? D: I took a fork and dug around a little, but couldn't find any.
Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

You can pay shipping from Lowes and still get it f[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not see[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!