FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By graceguthrie
I have a pitcher plant that I believe has 1-2 plants in the same pot (I got it at a nursery and they potted it for me). I moved it outside a few weeks ago and unfortunately almost all of my pitchers died. I posted in this forum and was told that wasn't too abnormal since they don't like being moved and to just keep up with regular care. One side of the plant seems to be doing just fine, but the other side is struggling. Should I be pruning dead leaves and pitchers? Here are some pictures. Thank you!
Attachments:
IMG_2100.jpeg
IMG_2100.jpeg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 2946 times
IMG_2099.jpeg
IMG_2099.jpeg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 2946 times
By Panman
As far as trimming off dead leaves and pitchers, if they are brown it is fine to cut them off. I would be concerned with the repotting by the nursery. What kind of pot is that? It looks like terracotta which could be a problem. What kind of soil did they pot it in? There are some types of soil that will kill nepenthes and others that make it important to pay attention to how you water it. Finally, do you keep water in the saucer under the plant? Nepenthes do not like it to be very wet, and standing them in water will lead to root rot.
graceguthrie liked this
By graceguthrie
Hi Panman, thanks for the reply! I should specify that they just repotted it when I bought it (5-6 months ago). It is actually a plastic pot and I believe they used a mossy soil mix. It feels pretty spongey. I do bottom water it usually but it doesn't sit in the water for more than 10-30 minutes, just the time for it to pull it up. I usually check it again after an hour and there's never any water left.

The above responses are OK, but for the faint of h[…]

Input on Neps placement

I have Diane, Lady Luck, Ventrata and hybrids with[…]

The light requirements for a VFT are such that ind[…]

I would think that the TDS would be different in d[…]

Hello from New England

Greetings from another New Englanda’

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

8s, keep looking on Craig's List and any local &qu[…]

should be fine, springtails make their way into co[…]

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!