FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Grey
Beatrice, to be precise. Good evening to everyone! I'm proud to announce receiving a beautiful Pinguicula on Tuesday, who I have named Beatrice. Here are some piccies, she's a bit dirty due to her container but she's doing well -- although a few leaves have started browning since she arrived, I'm hoping that's normal (since I did repot her). Her medium is a mix of supersphag and perlite (you can't see much on top, but it's there, I put a thin layer of pure supershag ontop). I was given a load of information by LittleShopOfHorrors upon purchasing her, and I've followed the advice and combined it with what I've learned off the forums. Beatrice isn't, however, as buttery as I had thought.

[Note] The quality of these pictures is terrible. I'm useless with a camera nowadays but I hope they're somewhat viewable, the light here isn't too good right now either.

She looks like she could split into four, and I'm tempted to try and divide her, although she is my first Pinguicula and I don't want to find I do more harm than good. I divided the leaves very gently to have a look at her close to the rosette, and it seems that she may in fact be 3 plants in one. Here's a picture or two of what I can see.

I just wanted to share my newest addition. If anyone has any tips or links to any pages that discuss dividing a Pinguicula, please feel free to PM me or add it to a reply. Oh, and supersphag is available here, if you're not sure what it is:
http://www.littleshopofhorrors.co.uk/pr ... sphag-Moss
My camera is one heck of a pain, I can only have it on for 2 minutes or else it drains the batteries (even new ones, ugh!). It's an old camera.. passed it's best.

Thank you, and, take care!
Last edited by Grey on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By Matt
Congrats on the new Ping! I've only received a couple of Pinguicula in the mail bare root and I thought that they were going to die completely. They lost nearly all of their leaves, but then came back with a fury and outgrew their pots. I'd expect Beatrice to lose a few more leaves, but she should recover fine with good care :)
By Grey
Matt wrote:Congrats on the new Ping! I've only received a couple of Pinguicula in the mail bare root and I thought that they were going to die completely. They lost nearly all of their leaves, but then came back with a fury and outgrew their pots. I'd expect Beatrice to lose a few more leaves, but she should recover fine with good care :)
Thank you, that's reassuring. I did wonder, although Beatrice came in a pot the shock must be quite substancial -- being kept in a small box without light for a day or two, then being fiddled around with and repotted. I've heard they're quite hardy little things. I can't wait to see how she does.
By Grey
[Major Update!]

I think I figured out why Beatrice was browning... she wasn't planted properly. I tried to take a leaf pulling and she fell apart -- turns out 4 smaller butterworts have been sprouting from her! I now have 5 plants (6 including Mr.Nomnom)!! AHH!! Running out of pots -- thank goodness for coconuthusk pots.

They're in a perlite/sphagnum mix topped with a cocopeat type mixture designed for young carnivorous plants. I hope they do well.

Blimey.
By RLK
I would be ecstatic if I got 4 lil' butterworts for the price of one. Hope they all live. I think I might have to consider getting some...
By Grey
RLK wrote:I would be ecstatic if I got 4 lil' butterworts for the price of one. Hope they all live. I think I might have to consider getting some...
Ohh you should! They're delightful little things. I've repotted them all together in a larger trough. I have windowsill space now!

All 5 have been neatly tucked in and are starting to pinken very slightly. They all have their buttery feel back as well now, after the stress of being posted.
By RLK
i am trying to resist the urge to buy more plants online. i figure i should wait at least a week or two after getting my last shipment before ordering more.

~RLK
By Grey
RLK wrote:i am trying to resist the urge to buy more plants online. i figure i should wait at least a week or two after getting my last shipment before ordering more.

~RLK
Ahh that's very true. Well, if you do decide to buy, just a bit of information for you: your butterwort(s) may look a little sad once you recieve them, but they will perk up. As long as you keep their soil moist and gently introduce them to sunlight you'll have pink little babies in on time!

Good luck!
By Grey
Update 22nd August
She's struck!! I was gazing into my new "miniature indoor bog" (trough filled with sphagnum, perlite and supersphag) and was looking at my butterwort's leaves. They appear to be browning, which has been worrying me -- low and behold, I saw something underneath one of Beatrice's babies. The baby has new leaf growth! It's fantastic, they're bright green and just unfolding into the morning sun. I'm so excited!

I've moved all my CPs into a trough that is on my windowsill, they're perfect. I've added another VFT and 2 Sundews to my collection. It's a busy little trough, I'll get photos soon I hope, by borrowing my father's camera.

Ahh I'm so excited! Mr. Nomnom has put forth new growth, and Big Red (my newest VFT, got him from Homebase, he's an incredible colour) has started growing new leaves as well. I also have a young Monkey Cup plant (that is potted in a seperate pot, because when he's bigger I'll put him in a hanging basket or something similar so his cups can have freedom). My sundew has already caught herself some breakfast and her dew is returning.

Life is good!
marianne wrote:why are you tempted to divide it?(doesnt look like they are blocking each other)
its still four plants, man
It doesn't look like it, but they in fact were. The plants were browning. Plus, it was my choice and I stand by it =]
RLK wrote:lets get an update on your little ping-scape. post some new pics of their home.

~RLK
Hehe. Well, I don't have a camera any more. Mine's broken completely now. I'll try to get photographs using my dad's camera.
By Oblivion
i have a few pings, and each has grown into a 4 sided ping dice.
you cant even see the roots as its in the middle somewhere and not even potted, just sitting on the top yet somehow its doing fine.

The above responses are OK, but for the faint of h[…]

Input on Neps placement

I have Diane, Lady Luck, Ventrata and hybrids with[…]

The light requirements for a VFT are such that ind[…]

I would think that the TDS would be different in d[…]

Hello from New England

Greetings from another New Englanda’

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

8s, keep looking on Craig's List and any local &qu[…]

should be fine, springtails make their way into co[…]

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!